On windows ten, can I play minecraft with someone running the xbox version because they are both running Bedrock Edition?

If so, do I have to have an Xbox live account to play with them? Or can I just join their world with their username?

As long as you're playing the Java Edition of Minecraft (which the launcher is downloaded from the website), you will be able to utilize the cross-platform support of the Windows 10 Edition (downloaded from the Microsoft Store) as it's running on the Bedrock Engine.

ALL PLAYERS will need an XBox Live account to play online together & their respective online service subscription.

* XBox One will need XBox Live Gold

* Playstation 4 will need Playstation Plus

* Nintendo Switch will need Switch Online

* PC & Mobile platforms do NOT require any online service subscriptions.

Unless you're using a Realms server, the host player will need to open up their world to their friends to join.  Please be aware that once the host goes offline, all players are automatically kicked from the world.

Hope this helps!

yea sure you can sure yea