Expecting moms during covid-19?

What are expecting mothers who will be giving birth in the next couple of weeks in need/want the most right now? What are you most concerned about not having once you bring your new baby home? 

I am not expecting a baby, but I have delivered two children in the hospital.

My suggestion for those who are pregnant or giving birth...stay isolated. Have someone pick up the diapers (disposable and cloth), baby wipes, diaper rash ointment, formula and breast feeding supplies prior to delivery. Forego a baby shower, as that is too much exposure for you and those shopping for the party and gift giving. 

If you and your baby are healthy, leave the hospital as soon as you possibly can. Do not have any visitors and, if possible, insist your baby stay with you, not in the nursery. When you and your bundle of joy are wheeled out of the hospital, put a blanket over the baby''s face to avoid hospital illnesses/germs.

When you get home, do not have any visitors. Use social media and text photos to share pictures of your newborn. 

Every day in third world countries, babies are born in horrific conditions, while mother and child survive the child birth. Children are born into poverty every minute and come home to sleep in a dresser draw. My point is that babies need very little, but nourishment and lots of love.

I completely understand your concern because how you feel is real, and you have honest to goodness concerns for the immediate future. Howsoever, if you take the precautions necessary to keep yourself safe, you and your baby will get through this time of great challenges and uncertainty. Good luck to you.

• GB

If  I was pregnant  I would do my best to practice social distancing, especially if I was in the last two months. For some years now  my local hospital has even discharged  first time-mums as early as 6 hours after the birth, and allows about 2 or 3 days for c-sections.  Babies room in with their mothers, and I have heard there isn't the option of putting them in a nursery for the night. (When my daughter was born 32 years ago, the newborns spent their first night in the nursery, unless the mother said she didn't want them to.)

I would probably plan to use disposable nappies, but  also get a supply of washable ones to have as a standby, in case the disposables ran out  and I could not get supplies. I would also contact a group like La Leche League for advice and support about breastfeeding.