When were portable (boombox) CD players first on the market?

Arguing with the wife about when she had a boombox cd player. In my memory the portable ones didn't come out until the 1990's but regardless I wondered if anyone knew the specific years of the technological evolution.

• 5 days ago

1986.  The Sony Discman was the first portable CD player made and that came in 1984, the CD player boombox came soon after (but they were far more expensive than the cassette tape kind and back then there wasn't much recorded on CD's except for new "albums".  I was in college back then and remember my roommate had a CD player but paid like $800 for it (which is worth more like $1800 today).

The first boom box was invented in 1966.  They came to America in the late 1970's. In the mid 1980s, the boombox began to become a status symbol.  In the late 1980's, they started putting CD players on them (this was because before then, they were TOO expensive.  CD's were invented in about 1981 and cost a thousand dollars initially) 

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was released in 1986

CDs and component players came to the US in 1983. 

Radio Shack's first CD boombox, the CD-3300, was "NEW FOR '88",

and since they were a year or two behind on most new developments like that,

my guess is that there was a Sony CD boombox by 1985 or 1986.

I'm not sure Sony was the first, though, because there was a

mad rush of product development in the CD category.

Panasonic could have done it, or possibly Sanyo or Emerson.

As an aside, I have a unique Emerson portable (PD5098),

an AM/FM/CD unit that is pure mono.

Nothing stereo about it At All.