At what age should mothers start bottling their breast milk, cease direct breast feeding, and begin the process of weaning?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

NEVER bottle breastmilk - just nurse the baby!  A baby will wean when he or she is ready, however, he or she MUST be weaned by 1-year of age.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

There is no need to bottle breast milk for the purpose of weaning. You can still nurse, ween and use formula, all at the same time.

As far as age is concern in regard to weaning from breast milk, I really think you ought to ask your baby's pediatrician that question.

Your baby's health is far too important to be relying on strangers typing behind the keyboard for such crucial advice.

• GB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

There is no need to do this, unless the mother feels uncomfortable about nursing past a certain age or stage, but feels the baby 'should' still be having human milk. For example say  that it's recommended that the child is breastfed for a year, but the mom worries 'What if  Baby starts pulling at my top in public?'  Or 'what if I have trouble weaning them off the breast?  

• 2 months ago

My pediatrician recommended we start weaning at one year of age.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Whenever she wants to, if she wants to. 

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

My kid was a lazy baby...my wife did that at 4 months when he’s sleeping well

• LizB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Presuming breastfeeding goes well, a nursing mother doesn't ever have to pump or give bottles if she doesn't want or need to. Most children will self-wean by 2-3 years old, but if either mom or baby/toddler decide to wean earlier or later, that's fine, too. It's a very individual decision, there is no "should."

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

When the kid leaves for college.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.