Dustin asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

When you eat vegetables, do you get more nutrition from them fresh, frozen then cooked, or canned? ?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

As pointed out in the one answer, it's not that simple. However as that respondent indirectly correctly pointed out, all of the above is correct. They however once recently commented to me, that the devil is in the details. So I'll be giving a longer and bit more detailed answer.

While fresh are generally better, it's also dependent on the specific type of vegetable and in some cases even fruits. Some fruits and vegetables, can be best if eaten raw. Others however are best eaten after they've been cooked. Then some can have benefits both ways. Tomatoes are a good example. Raw they have very little lutein, which is very useful. However cook them, or take them to a high enough heat, and that changes. Then there's other vegetables and some that are eaten as vegetables, such as squash, which are actually fruit by botanical standards that cooking unlocks more of the nutrients while some are lost, the overall available nutritional value is increased.

One vegetable comes to mind specifically, and that asparagus. In the terms of minerals yes some are lost. However due to cooking and thee breaking down of the hard cellulose walls actually increases. In some cases, the increase is significant. Vitamin K1 goes from fifty two percent to sixty three percent of the recommended amount. The folates increased is even more dramatic with that being almost three times when cooked versus raw. The precursor beta carotene increases by thirty three percent, from fifteen percent of the recommended amount, to twenty percent.

However frozen versus canned, the nod goes to the frozen, over the canned vegetables. Canned vegetables are good for longer term storage, and while they don't always have the same nutritional value. The reason being some will be lost in the liquid used to cook and  can them with. However there is a bit of a trade off. While some nutrients are lost, others become more bioavailable due to cooking process, which helped to break down the hard cellulose walls, as well as neutralizing the anti-nutrients such as oxalic acid and phytic acid.

• ...Show all comments
    • Wendigo
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I wished I could mention you and others by name, but someone could report me for calling out another user, even if it's in a complimentary way. :(

As far as keeping all of that straight, it's something I've been doing for years now, so for me it's easy. But what's easy for one won't be for others.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Frozen and canned are convenientl. These youngster MIllenials seem to want their produce organic and teeming with bugs!!! They are undoing progress. Silly little young people!! 

• 2 months ago

Fresh and Frozen have almost the exact same nutritional quality. Canned have less. Cooked vegetables, no matter how they start, have lost SOME nutrition depending on the cooking method used. Boiling removes the most nutrients, because the water they are boiled in is normally discarded afterwards. 

• 2 months ago

I think you get the same amount of nutrition from both but it also depends on how you cook it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The best is always getting them fresh.

If that is not possible the best option is frozen

If that's not possible the best option is cooked.

Source(s): I'm a RD
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It varies, but generally fresh is best, then frozen, the canned. Cooking can change the nutritional value of some veggies. To be sure, you'd need to look up the specific veggie you're interested in. 

For example, canned tomatoes offer a benefit fresh ones don't (lycopene, which may help prevent some types of cancer).  Frozen peas generally taste better than fresh (unless they are picked-today fresh) because within 24 hrs the sugars in them turn to starch, which causes them to lose flavor. Frozen (or canned, if froz isn't available) spinach provides nutrition in a more compact quantity than you'd have to eat, if you were eating fresh.

More info on this topic in the article below.

• 2 months ago

Fresh is best, then frozen. Canned have too much salt.

• 2 months ago

The nutritional value is roughly the same between fresh, cooked/and canned. The taste is better for fresh, though!

Peace.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Fresh IF they have not been hanging around for days. Frozen veg is picked and frozen within hours so keeping in the vitamins.

• k w
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

always from fresh.......always.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.