para asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Do gender roles only exist to benefit women?

Not sure

Anything involving money, power, positive outcomes, etc “woman are just as capable”

Anything involving danger, effort, bravery, potentially negative outcomes, “man’s job”

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I wish men can give birth in our anus probably freeze semen turn to women put semen and become pregnant turn back to men

(completely unrelated just wanna share so just ignore this answer) 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Gender roles don’t exclusively benefit women. However, since women’s traditional gender roles are increasingly seen as sexist, men’s traditional gender roles remain the majority of “appropriate” gender roles, thereby disproportionately putting pressure on men.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yep.  Women can choose to stay home or work.   Men typically don’t have that choice.   

• 2 months ago

What do you mean exactly?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

That really depends on the place and the people you ask. Gender roles vary from country to country, and even deeper with each ethnicity, religion, or people group setting norms on what men and women are supposed to be like and do. I agree that is a major flaw in gender roles, but there are many exceptions today, especially with more females in the military who have been serving as encouraging figures to break those norms. It can be harder for women and men to follow those norms. Some women want to do things involving hard work, lots of effort, and potential danger. Some men would rather stay home. These roles make it harder for women to do more hands-on jobs. I actually have a friend who was fired from her job as an engineer because her boss did not want women working in her field. Or when a man wants to teach young children, people are wary of it. Gender roles can either benefit or harm anyone.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Men invented war and machismo and gave all these things value. Don't come crying to women because your own patriarchy bit you in the a$$. Pregnancy and childbirth are still the most dangerous jobs regular people are expected to do.

• Larry K.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Men didn't invent war or machismo. A million years of evolution did. Males had to protect females to foster offspring. Only in the past ~ 100 years have women, because of modern technology, been able to be equal. I didn't know regular men could experience childbirth. I doubt they're brave enough!

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They were used to to suppress women.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Of course it is who doesn't know that. Men have to be tough, alpha males, responsible, protective, stronger, faster, sharper, agile, fighters blah blah...so that women the parasite can survive. They can't do **** themselves. They are incapable weak beings and yet they don't admit it either. That's the funny part. I don't mind being an alpha male and protect women but then again women should stay in the kitchen and be a loyal servant to me. Simple demand isn't it or else I stay in the kitchen but let them protect me. Let women protect men and twist the gender roles. Then only women know how hard it is to be in a MAN's shoe.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That's not what gender roles means. For that matter, feminists endorse the idea that women can and should do anything men can do in all situations whatsoever. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Larry K.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Baloney, Bill! Traditional gender roles in the past have both protected and subjugated women. That's what gender roles were.The problem is  men feel both confused and threatened by female equality. It's hard for them to understand what their role is now in modern society. I understand and sympathize

• 2 months ago

It's true that fewer women are in jobs involving "danger, effort, bravery, or potentially negative outcomes", but they do exist.

Smoke jumpers, police officers, military personnel, doctors and nurses, over-the-road truck drivers, and oil field workers are just a few of the "risky" jobs women are doing, and doing well.

Don't worry that women will be pushing men out of the "man's job" category. These days, men can work as teachers, chefs, secretaries, and other jobs traditionally done by women. They can even be the primary caregivers for their children if it works out better that way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.