Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is it bad that I’d rather die of the coronavirus than to be in this lockdown?

I’m in Chicago and this whole stay at home order and all the businesses closing. I’m a person living with depression and anxiety, working out at the gym and going to counseling were my coping mechanisms, sex is my coping mechanism, weed is also my coping mechanism. This lockdown closed the gym, can’t go to counseling, weed dispensaries are only servicing medical weed, and it’s hard to have sex. I do workout at home but I can’t do as much as what I would do at the gym in terms of building my body. So my depression and anxiety are going to hit full force because I have no way of fighting it. I’m honestly annoyed by this whole coronavirus situation. I’m starting to question what’s worse my depression and anxiety or having the coronavirus? If I die of the coronavirus I’ll no longer have depression or anxiety. I feel like this lockdown is going to last a very longtime and that point I’d just rather die than to live through this lockdown. Life isn’t worth living through this lockdown. Btw there is going to be a very very very very high suicide rate throughout the next few weeks and months if this lockdown doesn’t end soon.

To clarify to people who obviously don’t know how to read, I’m not downplaying any of the coronavirus victims and people dying, I was just talking about my personal struggles that I’m facing as a result of this lockdown. I have health problems myself that the services that got cut helped with. I personally don’t know how much more I can take of this lockdown. I’m not saying that people dying isn’t important and I’m not saying my issues are more important than people dying.

Some people on yahoo answers take things out of context and it’s like do people know how to read and comprehend information. 

I absolutely agree. I suffer from major depression and anxiety. People will say you are pathetic for having first world problems and so many people have it worse than you do etc etc. well these are problems to YOU and that matters. I LIVE to travel. That’s what I keep going for, that’s what I look forward to twice a year. Now that’s gone, and maybe for years if they start forcing people to have a record that says they have an anti body to the virus just to go out and do anything anymore, while the rest of us sit inside for years and hope for some vaccine. That’s NOT living and I don’t give a sh$t what anyone says otherwise. Sometimes I wish I just wouldn’t wake up. I understand the importance of staying in right now but it cannot go on for the next 5 or 10 years. That’s like saying I might get hit by lightning so I’m not going outside, I might get in a car wreck so I’m not driving anymore, I won’t go to the ocean because I might get bit by a shark. Life isn’t life if you can’t do anything. I’m all about quality over quantity. So I’m right there with you 100% this is one of the most depressing times I’ve been in.  

Source(s): Life experience

Alexander has best answer

Thank you for the thoughts. No one seems to understand when one deals with depression or an addiction to sex. I have been in your situation too many times. I get out of it. It's not easy having depression. I am over 55 and yes, it would scare you to know what I deal with but this virus is like Aids/HIV. That's why I stopped the addiction of sex. As for the weed, it helps but it can lead to COPD. Yes, I agree that suicide may have a rise in numbers but no one is going to put it on the news. I can say this or that to you but you will do what you want to do. Only you can make yourself feel safe. I deal with OCDs, depression, panic and fears/phobia. I do not take meds. I do not see a counselor. I talk to myself which is part of the healing process but some cannot do it. I could give you some suggests. I would talk to myself until I fall asleep. I would watch TV until my legs get numb than I go for a walk. While you are doing the stay at home procedure I would suggest that you do take a walk but only walk where you know its safe. I know this sounds corny but when I feel depressed I would call a business just to ask what time they are open even though Google Map has their time listed. I know its only for less than 5 minutes while I am doing the call but it distracts why I started feeling depressed. The lockdown can be fun if you make it fun. I know it sounds boring but I would clean areas of my apartment that do not need to be clean. I would have paper that I would cut up and throw away. I am just keeping busy. Trust me I have horrible days. Those days I would sleep it off like if I had too much to drink. Remember they do have counseling hotlines unless in your area they are closed. For now, just do what seems normal to you besides smoking the weed. Once the numbness goes away than you are back to square one. I do not do weed instead I eat snacks just to ease my nerves. I could say hang in there but this lockdown is getting to you as it does for others. I am getting frustrated, too. I know this sounds mean but you can look at it as if you sprained your ankle and it's only temporary. Once the sprain is healed than you can go back to your daily routine. This lockdown could be similar. Hope you feel better.

Me too babe.. so boring being at home everyday!!

post pictures of your bare feet

• rj

LOL

alot of people feels this way, its so lonely

Is it bad that you'd, rather die than live without some luxuries for a few weeks(while living with MOST of the normal ones).  

YES!! It REALLY is.  Think of all the people who have to live in War torn villages in various parts of the world or all the people who are losing a parent 5-10-15 years ealrier than they thought.  

And now really...think if we needed to hear about your really bad "anxiety."  And don't whine about people "taking this out of context." Everyone's reading the post YOU made the comment about how "annoyed" you were with "like the whole coronavirus situation.

And again, it's REALLY not "like can people just read and comprehend"  Yes...we can.  You're just looking for a nice little pat on the head and maybe a nice belly rub and everyone to tell you're so special and and don't say such things.  I haven an idea..if you're really so "put out" by "this whole coronavirus situation," there are plenty of ways to NOT have to be bothered by it.  

You could go through what I'm going through right now.  My Mother has it and is on a ventilator(though I can't see here because of course they won't let us in) and is in a coma at the moment....

But hey...tough call about you not being able to go to the GYM and you ONLY being able to get a partial workout at home bud.  GOD...that is so tough!!!  Man...how do you deal with that?

• Paul2 months agoReport

Almost selfish to me and like it's more of an annoyance and the self described bullshit that's not truly depression. Either way, it's just a pathetic question to me. Lot of people won't see people they love again and someone saying is it bad I'd rather die than just sit at home...Goddamn...

Do Something in home. like: home workout, watch some movies and use some social media, pray in home(if you believe in GOD). 

#StayHome. It could save your and your family and someone’s life. We’re all in this together.    finally be positive ........

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

Watch a funny movie 

• patty

I like to go walking. You could even try jogging or running. It tires you out and u sleep better.

• marys.momma

Yes, you can walk or run and still keep your distance from other people.  Aren't you up for a challenge of this magnitude?  Lots of folks have more serious problems about "staying in place" than you do – moms with essential jobs whose child care has quit, or doctors and nurses on the front lines.

Sounds like you need to find a better workout routine, a better therapist who can do online sessions, and a better way to quench your desires. You go mountain climbing or kayaking and still not feel like having done enough workout, please find a fitness expert and get more recommendations. Also, you need not a sex partner but a life partner to deal with depression.