How to connect sm58 to computer?

So i just ordered this for a music project im working on, and i realized i need a way to connect it to my laptop. I googled this a bit and it seems there are two route, a direct cable, and an audio interface. If there are other options please let me know. What are the benefits of the audio interface? could i get away with just the cord if all im doing is recording vocals? what issues could i come into if i just get the cord?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The best way is with an audio interface.  

Make sure it has a mic input. 

The SM58 is dynamic, so it will Not need "phantom power". 

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Agreed, a proper interface such as a Focusrite Scarlett will give vastly superior quality.
      It's nothing to do with impedance (with the SM58 at least), it's just that internal PC sound systems pick up a lot of noise from the computer PSU, limiting the quality.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lance
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Using a cord direct You could get an impedance mismatch which would cause hum and or back round static that won't go away easily. Also volume may not be loud enough The advantage of the audio interface is that it takes care of the problem and allows you to adjust the signal strength. Also many are USB which transfers the signal into the digital realm making for a cleaner sound. You can also try using a microphone pre amp. The impedance input for the computer mic input is quite low so usually the problem is too much resistance from the mic...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.