Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 months ago

Where does the fear of mixing food come from?

Only in the passed 10 years or so I hear things like "can I eat lemons and pork or will it hurt me?" "Is it ok to have crackers and avocado together?"

Exclusively while in the surpassed few years perhaps I actually perceive such things as "can I actually feed on lemons plus pig and also ultimately harmed people? inches "Is it acceptable to acquire crackers plus avocado along? inches.

• Burgoo

idk, i never had this. there is an old story about president zachary taylor who died from a disease, but everyone at the time said it was from mixing cherries and milk on a hot day.maybe this makes people in the us think of stuff like that

People these days are afraid of everything. It's why "snowflake" came about.

Eat what you want. I can't think of a single combination of food that could cause an issue if you are healthy and are eating foods that are not spoiled. I say 'healthy' because some people do have food intolerances that may cause them to be ill if they eat certain foods.

If some of the posts on this site are anything to go on I don't think it's so much a fear of unusual food combinations it's just a mixture of ignorance and stupidity. “Is it okay if...?”, “What happens if...?” Then there's the, “I left [fill in your own choice of food or drink that doesn't require refrigeration and wasn't refrigerated in the sore] out for a few hours, should I throw it out?” Type question.

Lots of people nowadays know NOTHING about food or drink - it's frightening. Someone posted a while ago asking if freezing food would kill the coronavirus in it - there are still quite a few people around who think it's a food borne disease.

I think it's an extension of positive food combinations which have been back in fashion on healthy eating blogs, "Eating lemon/oranges with liver help you absorb the iron" sort of a thing but with avocado and teff which has been extended backwards by the logic that if something is good in combination then some combinations must be bad.  Add in an anxious disposition and voila!  Plus every culture has superstitious combinations of food considered dangerous/unwholesome/taboo.  The internet has made them more apparent as people go online to ask what they used to ask their granny, so suddenly someone wanting to know if it's dangerous NOT to wash their chicken in lemon juice before cooking it because they've run out encounters 100 people in other countries whose first reaction is "wtf?"

You're on to something though.  In the last few years people online come across as much more anxious about food, almost terrified of it.  Witness the umpteen questions a day about whether it's safe to eat the thing that was out of the fridge for ten minutes, in the freezer for a month or is an hour past the sell by date.  Maybe getting rid of home ec and replacing it with classes pretend marketing pretend cereal wasn't such a good idea after all?

The family dinner table.

Most kids will start eating the stuff on the plate they enjoy most. So, Mummy/Daddy tell eat "Eat you peas", "eat your beans" and other specific items -- potatoes, carrots, rice, cauliflower, broccoli, etc....

So, the implication is that it's fine to eat the stuff on the plate one item at a time.

It does seem to have become rather a habit in the last 20 or so years...

Note: seems to have taken root in millennials in particular