Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 2 months ago

Parent in need ?

You have to look at the line and see how many pieces it's broken into. That number becomes your denominator. And then you look at where the point is. That number becomes your numerator. FYI, a helpful strategy is to turn those lines into boxes. And then count how many total boxes there are. That would be your denominator. And then count how many boxes there are up to where the point is. That would be your numerator. 

Here's a quick illustration I put together to show you what I mean. And notice how I only did the tops. This way, you can see the numbers on the bottom. 

Source(s): I've taught math and many other subjects. And have helped lots of students out with problems. Providing them with helpful guidance so they can better understand and figure things out.

you could go to social services and ask for help there

• david

notice that there are 8 divisions from 0 to 1

...  this is the 6th division, so P is 6/8  .. reduce to 3/4

top line === 3rd space = 3/4 = 6/8

bottom line ---  has 12 spaces from 0 to 1

9/12 reduces to 3/4  ...  so the 9th space over 

I've never seen fractions taught this way!  Must be something new.

Anyway, look at the first number line with point P on it.  There are eight tics on the line, the last one being 1.  That means each tic represents 1/8.  P is the 6th tic, so it represents 6/8, which we can reduce to 3/4.  Point P is 3/4 of the way from zero to 1.

The next line has 4 tics instead of 8.  So each is 1/4.  3/4 is the third one after 0.  It's 1/4 -short- of 1.

The next line as 12 tics.  3/4 of 12 is 9, so you'd pick the 9th tic.

• SumDude

God bless Common Core !!