Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Moving because of bed bugs I don't know what to do.  Before I move I will ask any suggestions ?

I have tried both spray for bed bugs , applying Diatomaceous Earth and using a carpet shampooer.  I sleep on the couch because I share a one bedroom apartment.  The only thing I can think of the bedbugs are in the couch.  I hate to throw the couch away spend $1000 for a new one just to have to bed bugs come right back.. I will move out been dealing with this a year now and roommates don't offer any kind of help..  I am obviously going to wash all the clothes, take a shower and buy new shoes just to make sure I don't transfer them to my new place.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

New shoes, showering and washing clothes isn't going to get the bedbugs out of the couch. That couch needs professional treatment, OR tossed. And you will probably take the bedbugs with you anyway. They can hide for YEARS. They can lie dormant for extended lengths of time. Get some real professional exterminating advice BEFORE you move, not afterwards when you're dealing with the problem in your new place. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

you can get a cover for the couch.  you can get a heat treatment.  the entire home needs to be treated..since its an apartment, at minimum all surrounding units at minimum need to be treated...bed bugs tend to affect HALF of apartments in a building.

in many areas, legally, the landlord is supposed to deal with it.

in the summer, on a hot day, you can try to put the couch in plastic in the sun, but still need to keep it covered for a year to be sure.

• enn
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If you can get your roomates to arrange a 24-hour time to be out of the apartment or house, you need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get the bug "fogger" cans. You will need one can per room of the domicile. Cover up things you want protected such as clothes with plastic bags or a tarp, set the can in the middle of the room. Put on a mask, make sure the windows are closed, set the "fogger" can going, then exit the room immediately and shut the door. Do this for each bedroom and the living area. Be out of the place comeletely for 24 hours. When you return, open up the windows and air out the place completely. Still wearing a mask, vacuum the matresses, carpet, sofa, chairs, and all the pillows. If you can then take the pillows and sofa cushions outside, let them air out for a couple hours. Take all area rugs outside and shake them out and air them out, as well as the curtains. You should be able to get all the latent chemicals out of the place. If you still have itchy skin, even if you move to a new place, consider using a plastic mattress cover. It may also be that you are sensitive to the other bugs and microscopic creatures that feed off shedded skin flakes, so, a plastic sheet over your mattress can help reduce the itchy feeling. Use only 100% pure cotton sheets, also use a plastic pillow protector for a while, and see if that helps reduce some of your skin sensitivities. As for a sofa, try a vinyl or imitation leather sofa instead of fabric upholstery sofa. There are usually fewer insects in such a sofa. Try this and Good luck!

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You'll probably wind up taking the problem with you.  Bed bug eradication is difficult but not impossible.  You need to be comprehensive, very thorough and most of all, patient.  It won't happen in a day.

Thorough cleaning helps a lot.  You pick up any live bugs you find and get rid of them.  You also loosen and pick up eggs so you don't have as many babies coming on.

And you don't do that just once.  You do it several times.  If you get two-thirds of all the bugs each time you do it, after cleaning thoroughly three times you're down to just three percent of the bugs you had.

"Thorough cleaning" isn't just wiping down surfaces you see.  Bed bugs hide from light, so you need to take things apart and get into nooks and crannies.  Take out drawers, wash and dry all the clothes - drying absolutely kills bed bugs and their eggs at every stage.  No saving throw, no survivors.  Dried bugs = dead bugs.

While you've got things apart you can dust with DE or spray with long-latency insecticides.  Wait a week and do the entire process again.

Take off cushions.  Get a flashlight and peek into fabric folds on cushions, or down in where cushions meets.  They hide where it's dark and they're flat like a tick, so they can really get down deep.

Also find every crack and crevice in the place and caulk it shut or spritz with treatment, or dust with DE.  NOT both, DE has to stay dry to be effective.

If you find traces like droppings, don't just leave them there.  Get a vacuum and suck up everything.  Bugs lay eggs any old place so sucking up every speck - a bug egg looks like a single grain of rice, but way smaller - will help reduce the reinfestation.

Add ClimbUp traps under the feet of furnishings.  Put a tablespoon or so of baby powder in the trap.  ClimbUp traps won't do anything about the bugs that are already in the furnishing, but it will prevent bugs leaving that furnishing to infest other parts of the home, or bugs from coming from somewhere else and getting up on that furniture.  The baby powder interferes with their footing and they just sit there in the trap and die.

Yes, just baby powder.  No toxins required.

You can do a lot without having to resort to pesticides, but you can do even more if you're willing to put in the work.  But if you take your stuff and move, you'll probably move bugs with you and when you get to whatever new place, you'll simply have the same problem you have now.

Stay put, and fix the problem you have.

[edit] DE = diatomaceous earth.  It is microscopically sharp and lacerates the bugs' soft bodies, causing them to rapidly dehydrate and die.

• T-half
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Is DE Desiccants?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • T-half
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

They probably are in the couch.  But if you place the couch in a tent outside, the temperature in the tent can get over 130F (with outside temperatures of 65).

The bedbugs in the couch will die.

However, the bedbugs are probably in the carpet and the walls. They also like nesting in books.

• 2 months ago

nothing other than extreme heat, professionally applied and delivered, really gets rid of bed bugs. that's a job for an exterminator and usually takes three days

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

leave the couch there burn your clothes get rid of your car if you have one,

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Have you hired a professional to treat them?????

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.