Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Do you have an indoor or outdoor cat? How do you make them come back in the house if they're both? Have you ever had your cat run away?

Favorite Answer

WE have an indoor cat that we allow outdoors occasionally. But only with a GPS breakaway collar. And she stays in our backyard. Which is over 2 acres. She listens to us when we call her in. If she is a little stubborn. We'll shake the kitty treat container. And she'll fly back to us. And yes, when she was very young. She "left" the backyard and went to the park we found her in(she was a stray). We found her using the GPS.

• Ken S

My cats are indoor/outdoor and always come back. Also if I call for them they will come. I have never had a cat run away.

Cats never "run away". That's just what their irresponsible owners say. Cats allowed to roam end up DEAD - eaten by coyotes, killed by loose dogs, poisoned, run over by cars, etc.

DON'T get a cat if you're really that selfish and stupid that you'd let it roam.

I only have indoor cats. Never had a cat run away. 

• Maxi

The cat I have now is an indoor, the first cat I have ever had which is, I adopted her 7 years ago from a rescue that only allows adoptions to homes that keep them indoors,,,she was about 4-5 months old and had been scavenging for at least a month on the streets before they picked her up and she is afraid of nothing, will follow dogs being walked, roll in the road, so not fearful of traffic, so not safe to be out on her own.

Prior to her I have always had indoor/outdoor cats, always in at night, fed and allowed to go in/out as they please, they came back as it is their home where they get fed/loved, although I have also had a couple of cats ( both rescue) who also 'lived' at other homes, where the people thought they were their cats, so fed them daily, groomed them etc and I only found out when one turned up with a collar on ( which I took off and kept in in for a few days) and the other I was walking the dog and saw him sitting in someones front window, so knocked on the door and asked, the elderly lady told me "she found him as a stray 4 months earlier" so I told her he was mine I had had rescued him 10 yrs earlier, he was chipped, fed, loved and kept in at night, she was really upset... I told her I didn't mind him coming to visit her daily but just not to feed him so much daily otherwise being fed full amount at two places he will just get fat and be unhealthy... he lived until he was 19 yrs old and he contiued to visit that home and later I found out he also 'visited' other homes as well.

Many indoor/outdoor cats 'visit' other homes, but also many cats that 'run away' decide another home is more suitable for them often as their owner gets another cat or pup or has a baby and the cat doesn't like the changes or the cat is killed on the road, so not run away at all, but killed and the owner 'hopes' it has just run off or got lost.......... cats rarely lose their sense of how to get home

• ?

Ive got a coupme of cats, one largely indoor and one mostly outdoor. We had the house exterior painted in october last year, and my outside cat made hinself scarce. He comes in to eat, usually at 2 or 3am, but i see him even less than i used to. Theres nothing i can do to force him to stay inside, short of locking the cat door and trapping him inside, which he would HATE. Some cats are more independent than others, and you cant make them stay inside if they dont want to. You've just got to let them do their thing and hope theyre ok.

• Rick B

I would never let a cat outside. That is very dangerous. There are animal predators, poisonous substances, cars and other mechanical dangers, and bad people.