Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 2 months ago

What causes a child not to have the same powers as their parents?

X-Men already explained that their mutation powers is random so their children don't always have the same powers as them. But what about the others like The Incredibles? What caused their children not to have the same powers as them? Superman's son has the same power as him. People can say because they are Kryptonian but The Flash's children has the same power as him too and he got his powers by a freak of nature accident. Then there is Black Lightning, his daughters don't have the same powers as him. I don't know much about Skaar but he has both his parents Hulk and Caiera's powers. So in a scientific sense, what causes a child not to have the same genetic powers as their parents?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I mean, the real answer is the writers' whims of course.  

But looking for an in-universe explanation, for Superman, as you said, it only makes sense that his powers are passed on identically since they're racial.

Looking to genetics, you get 50% of your genetic material from either parent.  So if the gene for HAVING powers is passed on in full, but maybe what KIND of powers is dictated by another gene, and that gene consists of a long string of ATGCs.  If all of them came from one parent, it would make sense that the son or daughter would get the same power as that one parent.  But if they were mixed, perhaps it would cause no powers, or some random power to manifest.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Artistic liberty. I.e. the reason is writers simply doing whatever they fancy without giving a f**k. Don't stress too much on this, it's not worth it.

• 2 months ago

You have your own individual powers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.