Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Is homemade dough more likely to cause food poisoning than packaged dough?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You really have to be very careless to get poisoned from dough. I never by packaged dough and if you make dough fresh from flour and the other ingredients there is near zero chances of getting poisoned from it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jane
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Any food product can cause illness if it is not made and stored safely, at home or not.Make sure you have washed your hands, and that the utensils and surfaces you use are clean.Pastry- store bought is fine or shortcrust is easy to make at home. Bread, as before but takes a bit longer. Follow recipies online and learn some new skills!

• 2 months ago

possibly, depending on what kind of dough.

ANYTHING with raw egg in it could potentially cause food born illness. Most package dough from stores eithe has NO egg in it or pastuerized egg in it.

• abdul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not usually. Usually homemade stuff is fresher and done in small batches making it relatively easy to maintain your sanitary conditions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Linda
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. If your hands are clean and the surface that you are making the dough on is also clean, then the dough that you make will be fine. Packaged dough is okay when you don't have the time to make dough, which can be time consuming. Either dough is just as safe as the other if precautions are taken.

• Alpha
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.

Food poisoning comes from spoilage or improper preparation of the raw ingredients. Spoilage can occur if the item exceeds the Used By Date - that's the purpose of the expiration date on packaging. If you don't cook/bake the dough properly than there is a chance/risk as in all raw items of causing food poisoning.

If you do not store the baked dough properly, germs are going to grow on it and that can lead to food poisoning. Which means even if it was okay when you were preparing it, it can still spoil if you do not store it properly afterwards.

Last, it is not unheard of for producers of package goods of any kind to have problems with quality control which can lead to contaminated products. That's why almost every month, you hear about recall for grocery items.

• 2 months ago

I just pulled hair off one of my frying pans and more out of the kitchen sink. The other day, I found hand washed forks with crumbs still on them.

Even among neat freaks, without someone telling you how to be clean and safe or get fired, and BTW a government agent may spy on your health habits too; most people who cook at home are mind-blowingly disgusting. Even when you buy prepackaged, you still handle it and put it on your pans and utensils.

But if you're making it from scratch with flour stored next to where the cat craps, eggs that have been in the fridge for 3 months, with milk with raw chicken juice dripping on it, on a countertop you have literally never cleaned in 7 years, in comparison yes, store bought is theoretically safer.

And p.s, yes, all of those examples I witnessed first hand in homes and professional kitchens. At this point, I almost think it doesn't matter because we've all become immune to it, or else don't know what not having ecoli feels like.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have never heard of bread causing food poisoning it molds and rarely would you eat a bread with green fuzzy spots and even if you did it doesn't really bother most people.

• 2 months ago

Depends on what is put in it but on a normal case, not really.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.