Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Should I ask to be compensated? Or security deposit deducted? ?

My boyfriend and I moved into our house at the beginning of February. we had to clean the walls. Bathrooms. Kitchens. My boyfriend  just moved the stove and it was absolutely disgusting. It was built up food, dirt, papers, etc. same with the fridge. counters and cabinets have grease on them. Shouldn't a rental home be cleaned prior to moving in? I’ve always cleaned my houses before moving out. We toured the home and didnt notice this issues. Not to mention we feel like a homeless person was living here because the home was vacant. The shower was broken, it smelled like food in the garage, etc. only thing they have fixed is changing the locks and a few busted light bulbs. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

no, you did not sign a contract accepting the issues you didn't know about...and could have requested that cleaning been done for what you did see.  Its odd that you didn't notice during the tour for the visible issues.

if you failed to notify the landlord and request they clean...No.  But most would not be moving the fridge and stove unless there was an indication of a problem like the house being trashed.  if you had at least notified the landlord and they ignored you, at least in some states, you could make a case that the landlord was not in full compliance.....does the lease specify anything about the home being move in condition?

• 6 months ago

You took possession of the unit in it's condition.  The only thing the landlord would then be responsible for would be the working condition of the appliances, plumbing, etc.

Unfortunately, many landlords do not do anything they deem "unnecessary" when turning over a unit.  These landlords are "slumlords".

Also unfortunately, you condoned his actions by not inspecting/viewing the apartment before agreeing to rent and again before actually signing.  Had you viewed it before agreeing to rent, you could have demanded the place be cleaned first. 

• n2mama
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You could ask for anything, but don’t expect your landlord to agree. You accepted the condition of the apartment when you moved in, you don’t get to complain about it almost two months later.

• 6 months ago

Why would you accept the property in that condition? You have no excuse today.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Reasonably clean, yes. But not necessary inaccessible places like behind the stove. Why was your boyfriend moving the stove anyway?

• 6 months ago

"We toured the home and didnt notice this issues." You are not entitled to anything.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

pretty late now to ask. If you had asked before signing the lease they might have said ok.

• 6 months ago

If you took dated photos before you started cleaning, you can leave it as you found it without your deposit being dinged.  You did at least take photos didn't you?

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"We toured the home and didnt notice this issues." and you signed the contract accepting these issues....so you have no claim on anything

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sorry,but you accepted in that condition.

• 6 months ago

A unit should be clean before you move in.

If you had said = "no, we aren't moving in because it's gross".  Then you wouldn't have owed rent.

But instead you said "we'll deal with it" so the landlord doesn't need to do anything 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.