Phil
Lv 5
Phil asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Legally does your signature have to be your real name ?

Update:

especially on a legal document ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Technically, it may depend upon what the document is for, since "sales" (contracts) may be regulated differently from "banking" or other things.

However, the general rule is that your "legal signature" may be any mark that you have adopted at that moment to indicate your acknowledgement of the document, and it need not include any part of your actual name. 

When people ask me to "sign my name" I usually ask them whether they want my name or my signature, because they are not legally the same thing.  Someone cannot FORCE you to sign your name if the law requires your "signature".

The legal signature of a famous cartoonist ("fish") was actually a droodle of a fish.

Source(s): UCC Art.2 §3:401(b): A signature may be made (i) manually or by means of a device or machine, and (ii) by the use of any name, including a trade or assumed name, or by a word, mark, or symbol executed or adopted by a person with present intention to authenticate a writing.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

A signature can be just a cross.  Many people that couldn't write signed by "making their mark".

• 2 months ago

Legally no, it does not have to be your real name. People who receive signed documents from you, however, have no obligation to accept that signature and presumably, they would not (I wouldn't).

• Bill
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

probably not

look at trumps signature and see if you can make Donald ******** trump out of all of the WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Of course.  A nickname or anything along those lines invalidates a "legal document."

That's one of the reasons documents are signed in the presence of a Notary Public who verifies that the person signing has identification in that name.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Completely false under laws of all 50 states in the USA.

• Chris
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you are signing a check, your signature should match what appears on your signature card on file at the bank. Otherwise, the bank is under no obligation to honor your check.

• Phil
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Yes of course, but that did not answer my question.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

As long as there is no poop smeared on the paper I think you’re fine.

• 2 months ago

Try forging a signature.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

It's still technically YOUR signature, regardless of what you wrote.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't think so because many signatures are just a few squiggles.

• 2 months ago

No. I took a couple law classes in college and learned that your signature can be anything you want it to be: you could do a scribble (like doctors often do), sign an "x", etc.

Update: I should mention that these classes were about contracts, not signing checks or anything else.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You did well, Grasshopper. This is the law regarding "sales contracts" in all 50 states, under the Uniform Commercial Code.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.