Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

Best bridesmaid dress style?

I am no style guru, so I want some help picking out my bridesmaids’ dresses.  I have been a bridesmaid in friends’ weddings, and I know what it’s like to feel uncomfortable in an incredibly unflattering dress that makes you feel super self-conscious in front of a large crowd of people.  Even though I have always done it with a big smile and never said anything to the bride about it bc it was her day and I was there to support her, I have had to wear some pretty unfortunate bridesmaid dresses in the past that I felt very uncomfortable in.  It is important to me that my bridesmaids match and I prefer floor-length dresses, but otherwise I don’t really care what the sleeves or neckline look like. My bridesmaids are all different body types, so I want to find something that will be as universally flattering as possible.  I know you can’t please everyone, but I don’t want my bridesmaids to have to feel self-conscious or vulnerable standing in front of all those people, if I can avoid it. I’m worried about involving all of my bridesmaids in the decision bc inevitably, their ideas will probably differ, and I would prefer to avoid hurt feelings when I end up having to tell someone I’m not going with their choice. (Can you tell I hate confrontation?) Anyway, to all my style gurus out there, is there any particular dress style that tends to be flattering on most body types? Thank you!

• Ann

It's the "in" thing now to have bridesmaids all wear the same color, but to choose a style that fits their bodies the best. That way, there is some uniformity, but not a rigid style that might look horrible on a particular body size. They will all carry the same bouquets, except for the maid of honor, whose flowers will be a little more elegant, designating her position.

Why not get dressed to flatter them individually in the same color...then they'll only complain about the color if so.  Good Luck and congratulations.

The reality is that no one style will be flattering on all body types and each person may have a specific thing that they don't feel comfortable about.  What I'm saying is that you can't please everyone.  I would suggest that you speak individually with each of your bridesmaids and find out if there is something that they really don't feel okay about like strapless, open back or deep neckline.  Don't promise anything.  Be clear that you are just collecting data.  

Another thing to consider is selecting a color/fabric and length that will be consistent and allowing each woman to select from 2 or 3 different styles.  A higher/empire waist with pleats/ruching and a flailed skirt will be more forgiving that a form-fitting dress.

How important is it to  you that they all match?  If it's super important, your goal shouldn't be to "flatter most body types", since there's no style that does this.  Your goal should be to avoid any style that could be problematic for any of the girls.  Obviously, if someone is overweight, don't pick a dress that's form fitting.  If someone has a massive chest, don't pick something that should be worn without  a bra.  etc etc. 

But make sure  you really want this.  It's far easier and less risky to find a "line" of dresses, pick the color and let each girl pick her own.  The more bridesmaids you have, the more likely this is a better idea.

• Eva

They could be different styles as long as they are the same color. That allows the bridesmaids some choice while still making a harmonious look.

• Jerry

Choose something modest. "I feel uncomfortable about showing so much leg, showing so much bosom" carries a lot more weight than "I feel uncomfortable about not showing a lot of leg, not showing a lot of bosom" you know?

Avoid dresses that require special underwear, like backless dresses.

Do bridesmaids have to travel with the dress? Choose something easy to travel with.

Choose an ensemble that allows bridesmaids to change their fancy footwear for comfy (but pretty!) flats without tripping over their skirts. If it's a long skirt, then why tall high heels? Nobody sees the shoes. 

You are wise to avoid presenting bridesmaids with a broad "What dress do want?" question. Instead, offer them limited choices. Like "Please look at these 7 dresses and tell me which 2 you like best and why, which 2 you like least and why."

Avoid dresses that are clingy or form fitting. Ladies with gym bodies like showing off their hardbody midriff, firm butt, and muscular thighs, but the rest of us would rather not be drawing so much attention to our bellies, butts, and thighs. 

Congrats and best wishes. 

You could give your bridesmaids a colour, and ask them to find a dress in it to match your colour scheme.

Essentially, you're never going to please everyone (even if the dress looks fine, it may not be to their taste)

Wide shoulders, full skirt, flutter sleeves, jewel neck.

Why aren’t you asking THEM? They have opinions and voices.

Pick a designer that offers various styles in the same

Fabric, color, and length, and let them all pick their own style from there. Obviously ask each of them PRIVATELY first about their budgets and be sure to pick a designer everyone can afford.

If you want them all in the same dress, then go shopping with your Maid of Honor, narrow it down to three styles, and ask the bridesmaids to vote, and majority wins.

For what it’s worth, an A-like dress with straps would probably work well. I don’t know many adult women who like strapless dresses, and not everyone can pull off a sheath or mermaid dress. But no one style is universally flattering so you either have to let them wear different styles or let them vote among a few reasonable choices.

• Mary

just think about what style you would want them to wear for your photos. Then take your idea to them and ask if they would be comfortable wearing it or not. Most dresses are able to be altered slightly. I know many weddings where the bridesmaids have all worn the same dress but slightly differently (1 sleeve, 2 sleeves, no sleeves, etc. all at the same wedding).