Do I have to give 30 days notice that I am not renewing when my lease ends? (In Chicago)?

An office worker in my building was surprised when I said I was leaving and basically said I would have to pay additional money for not giving notice. But when I texted the manager who signed the lease with us she said nothing about it and just asked me to leave the keys in the apartment when everything is gone. This is for a year lease. There is no provision in my lease that says we have to provide notice X amount of days before moving out. There was also never a security deposit paid (so I am not losing anything). The reason I ask this is because I don't want anyone coming after me once the move is over with. Even though the manager responded to my text pleasantly and wished me the best of luck with my move.

YES you are legally required to give a proper notice to vacate., This is state law in most states & does not have to be in the lease. Fail to give what ever # of days notice is required in your state and you can be charged anther month rent. 

They are not required to educate you on the laws.  Them not saying anything is NOT acceptance & does not make it OK. 

• Maxi

Certainly they can sue you for notice giving notice that you are not renewing your contract... and if they did they are very likely to win and you will owe legal costs and another months rent...so you either ask directly or risk it and 'hope' you are not sued

By text IS written notice.  Typed IS written - same thing - Same meaning.  Give her your forwarding address, in case she wants cleaning costs.  Ask her about not giving 30 days' notice.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Scott

What does it say in your lease?

• Lolly

If your lease does not specify you have to give notice, and your lease ends, you have lived up to your lease. It's always better to give written notice 30 days before you pay your rent (a solid month before). I know notice is required in Wisconsin, maybe that person was from there.

Typically yes.  Most leases automatically convert to a month to month rental at the end so you have to give proper notice if you are going to leave.  Your lease may be different.