is it racist for a white person to learn Vietnamese? ?

i’m white but i really wanna learn Vietnamese. i’m worried people will think i’m racist or stupid. i don’t wanna offend anyone or disrespect anyone. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

No. You are simply wanting to learn a new language because you are interested in a different culture. Concerning yourself with what others think should be a low or non-existent priority. There will be those who have their opinions or perspectives on this topic. However, if you know that your motive is simply to learn because of your own interest, then it doesn't matter. 

• 4 months ago

No, not at all. It would be racist if said White person was making fun of someone for speaking Vietnamese

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No, of course not. What would be racist is acting like "white" languages are superior and saying the "chinks" should therefor learn a "white" language.

Vietnamese is not on the list of "critical languages", but if it's your calling to learn it, by all means do so. Speaking Vietnamese will definitely make you stand out when applying for a job

However, if you've never learned a foreign language to some fluency before it is highly recommended that you learn an "easy" one first. Easiest by far would be Esperanto. Next in line for the average anglo are - in no particular order - Dutch, Frisian, Afrikaans, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, french, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Italian and Romanian

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Nó, yô;

& I truly fail how doing such a thing wuld

mak anyon w/half a brain-cell thing this

about ya bu whtev's it's good in da hôôd!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

How on earth is it that racist

• 4 months ago

No. Not racist. I was learning Vietnamese before the covid-19.

• 4 months ago

Nothing wrong with that, it is in fact a noble goal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.