I have $20 and I have to add 5.37 percent for a tip. How do i specifically find the answer? How much money do i need to add?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

20 x 5.37/100 = 1.074

That is add $1.07c

• SumDude
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

If chef only has $20 he might need "to dine and dash."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • sepia
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have $20 and I have to add 5.37 percent for a tip.

I need to add $1.07 for the tip.

• SumDude
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

If chef only has $20 he might need "to dine and dash."

• 2 months ago

$20 x 1.0537 = $21.08

• 2 months ago

You have $20, but you haven't told us how much the bill is. There is no way to compute a tip.

BTW, a tip below 10% (and some would say 15%) would be taken as an insult to the server. If you're going to insult your server, why do you care if it's 5% or 5.37%?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Multiply .0537 by 20.

• 2 months ago

To figure it out, you'd need to multiply the bill's amount by the percent tip you want to leave. After you've done the multiplication, you'd get your tip amount. But first you need to convert that percentage figure into a decimal. So to convert a percent to a decimal, you'd divide the percent number it by ______. That would move your decimal point ___ places to the ______. 

FYI, some of the others who've posted answers to your question gave you how much total you'd end up paying. So the amount of the bill 𝐩𝐥𝐮𝐬 the tip. And several presumed the amount of the bill itself is $20. With the way your question is actually worded, it doesn't sound that way. 

If $20 is the total amount you have to spend, that's not necessarily the amount of the bill. So the bill could be $11. Or it could be $8.50. The point is the bill amount may actually be unknown. And if that's the case, which is what it sounds like to me, then you can still calculate the tip and total you'll end up paying. But it will use algebra because you'll have variables. Either way, the steps to getting the right answers are the same!

Source(s): I've taught math and many other subjects. And have helped lots of students out with problems. Providing them with helpful guidance so they can better understand and figure things out.
    • ...Show all comments
    • msoexpert
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Yes, if you were spending the entire $20, which includes both the bill and tip amounts added together, you'd divide the $20 amount to spend by ( 1 + % tip ). That's because the $20 total would include the bill's amount and the tip, which is calculated off the bill's amount.

• 2 months ago

multiply 5.37 times 2 and then divide by 100 and multiply by 10. round answer. 1.07

• SumDude
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

or .537 x 2, to bypass your other steps (except the rounding part)

• 2 months ago

lol.  5.37% is not mandatory. So just leave a dollar. {They probably overcharged you anyway. No math skills - get taken advantage of.}

• 2 months ago

"Percent" are 1/100th.

So percent are directly equivalent to cents on the dollar or pence on the pound.

Add $0.0537 (5.37 cents) to each dollar:

$10 would be $0.537, double that for $20 = $1.074

To the nearest cent, $1.07

Adding that to $20 = $21.07

Working with values other than money, you can still use the same methods, it's just numbers after all, regardless of them representing dollars, metres or joules etc.

• 2 months ago

the tip you give will be $1.07. a percent of a number is a portion of it, like a part. for example, 5.37 percent of 100 is 5.37

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.