Why is private university so expensive?

Is it worth paying all that $ to go to a Private University over a public one which is much cheaper? Which university would you go? If you can afford to pay and go to a Private University after financial aids from government would you go? 

If the costs were the same for private and public university which one would you pick to go to ?

• Hockey

Private universities do not get subsidised by the government and have no need or reason to keep tuition low. 

Your question with regards to which we would go to, public or private, cannot be answered outright. It depends strongly on the specific universities and the major you want to pursue.

• anon99

in the USA they Poach the best Teachers with Higher wages and the User pays

• John

Private universities generally cost more for a simple reason.  Its because the taxpayers of the state in which they are located are not subsidizing them through the state budget.  That is also why public universities charge more to out-of-state students.

I went to a private college, but the fact it was private was not a factor in my choice.  I had applied to 1 public and 2 private schools.  I chose those institutions because they all had the criteria I was looking for in a college.  

• MS

Private universities are not subsidized by the state, so they have to charge more to cover their expenses.  Private schools are not necessary better than public schools, but some certainly are.  It really depends on your field of study.  You should go to the best school for your degree that you can afford - that might be a public school and it might be a private one.

Private universities are no better than public ones (on the whole); they're just not subsidised, so you get the full cost (and then some).

I'd compare the specific universities, rather than just their status. Look at facilities and grade outcomes for students.

My advice is to go to a good state university for your undergraduate work and save your money/loans for grad school. Once you go to graduate school, no one cares where you did your undergrad work. Trust me- I did it backwards. I went to an elite private school for my B.A., and a state university for my graduate degrees. No one cares where I did the B.A.

• Squid

Because of student loans.

Private universities have supply and demand just like any other business.  They are going to raise their prices as long as there is a demand.  Student loans give students a lot of money to spend, so that creates more demand and raises the price.

everything depends on your job prospects after graduation ... and if the private uni has far superior connections to employers, that's the way to go

• cool

Because the demand is astronomical.

You have basically every parent wanting to send their child to an elite private university. Then you have all of the international students who want to attend the university.

That is a lot of demand, so of course it makes the price very high...

• drip

Private universities tend to hand out more financial aid. They cost more because they don’t get government funding like state schools do.

Not all private universities are the same. Not all public state universities are the same.  The University of Illinois is a much better school than  Eastern Illinois university.  Both public state schools. Harvard is a much much better school than Lincoln Memorial University.  Both private universities. 

When comparing you need to compare specific universities to each other.  

Other factors come in to play too

How far away from home home is it.  Can you get home in a timely manner without flying? Airfare adds to your cost of attending.  

What is the cost of dorms and off campus housing.  Do you want a large campus and student population. Which many State schools have.  Or a smaller campus with smaller classes, which many private universities have.