Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

I skipped pills... am I pregnant?

So I was supposed to get my period Sunday or Monday but I didn’t. I had sex 2 times around the time I was ovulating and the only protection I used was my birth control and pull out method which I often did with my ex. I skipped the placebo pills on my 28 day birth control pack which I have never done before. I don’t know if it’s because I skipped my placebo pills that I’m not getting my period or because I’m pregnant. I’m really worried. How likely is it that you don’t get your period when you skip the placebo pills? Should I be worried?

• Edna

You did NOT "have sex around the time you were ovulating". You're taking birth control pills, and so you NEVER ovulate - at any time. Because you never ovulate, it's impossible for you to get pregnant; no matter what you do or when you do it. The pill is the only protection you need to use. You do NOT need to use the pull-out method. 

If you skip the placebo pills and then  immediately begin a new pill pack, nothing will happen and you won't have a bleed. You just continue to take all the pills in that pill pack, and THEN you'll begin a bleed. 

If you skip the placebo pills and DON'T immediately begin a new pill pack, you'll begin a bleed in the next day or so. 

BTW:  You don't ever have a menstrual period when you're on birth control pills, because you never menstruate. Instead, you have a "withdrawal bleed" that only "looks like" a period. The withdrawal bleed is caused by "coming off" the hormones in the 21 "active" pills. The bleed occurs on one of the days you're taking the placebo pills. 

• Etta

You don't ovulate while taking birth control pill so not pregnant and if you skip the placebo pills and start a new pack of pill you wont get a period.

We do not know. If you get morning sickness you will know.

• Robert

The placebo are just pills that have no effect except to keep you in the habit of taking a pill daily. They have no effect taken or not. If you followed all other instructions you have little to fear except that birth control is only 99 percent effective. If your period is overdue it is for another reason. The placebo bills have nothing to do with it.

• kelvin

no you are not...............

• MissA

1. You do not ovulate while on the birth control pill. That is how the pill works.

2. You don't, technically, get a period on a standard birth control pill. You get a withdrawal bleed caused by the drop in hormone levels when you get to your placebo week.

3. If you skip the placebo week, you don't get that drop in hormone levels.

4. Therefore...