EMT re-certification question, new state, name and lapsed. Which course do I take?

Hi everyone, I was certified as an EMT-B in the state of Alaska in the year of 2013, expired 2015. I have since moved to Washington state and have changed both my first and last name (I have paperwork proving I am who I am.)

The year is 2020 so it has been lapsed for 5 years. Do I need to take the entire course again to get certified in Washington? Or can I take a 30-hour refresher course? Just lost on the steps I need to take. Any and all answers are welcome, thank you!

the fact that you feel it is better to ask here and not get a reliable answer scares me....maybe you shouldn't recert.

YEARS ago, if you let it lapse, you needed to re take the course.

also, if you didn't have national registry, you needed to take the court in the new state, unless the 2 states had reciprocity.

changing your name is irrelevant.

You would not meet the WA requirements unless you had a CURRENTLY valid certification from another state, assuming you (and it) meet all the other requirements.

You can't get 're-certified'.            

After 5  years, it is legally the same as if you were never certified at all

• Nuff Sed

After your out-of-state cert expired, you're done.

The source below may be of some assistance.

Huh. If I were you I would call the Washington licensing board or look at their website instead of asking anonymous strangers on the internet. But no need. I KNOW that all you need is the 30 hour refresher. Trust me.

• Nuff Sed

Yeah, except that
      's not what the WA admin code says about expired out-of-state certifications.

The name change is pretty meaningless but you have to retake the Course.

• Ron
    • Nuff Sed

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=246-976-142

says your out-of-state cert still has to be valid if you want to apply for reciprocity (not retake course, exams) in WA.