EMT re-certification question, new state, name and lapsed. Which course do I take?

Hi everyone, I was certified as an EMT-B in the state of Alaska in the year of 2013, expired 2015. I have since moved to Washington state and have changed both my first and last name (I have paperwork proving I am who I am.)

The year is 2020 so it has been lapsed for 5 years. Do I need to take the entire course again to get certified in Washington? Or can I take a 30-hour refresher course? Just lost on the steps I need to take. Any and all answers are welcome, thank you!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

the fact that you feel it is better to ask here and not get a reliable answer scares me....maybe you shouldn't recert.

YEARS ago, if you let it lapse, you needed to re take the course.

also, if you didn't have national registry, you needed to take the court in the new state, unless the 2 states had reciprocity.

changing your name is irrelevant.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You would not meet the WA requirements unless you had a CURRENTLY valid certification from another state, assuming you (and it) meet all the other requirements.

• 2 months ago

You can't get 're-certified'.            

After 5  years, it is legally the same as if you were never certified at all

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

After your out-of-state cert expired, you're done.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The source below may be of some assistance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Huh. If I were you I would call the Washington licensing board or look at their website instead of asking anonymous strangers on the internet. But no need. I KNOW that all you need is the 30 hour refresher. Trust me.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yeah, except that
      's not what the WA admin code says about expired out-of-state certifications.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The name change is pretty meaningless but you have to retake the Course.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=246-976-142

says your out-of-state cert still has to be valid if you want to apply for reciprocity (not retake course, exams) in WA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.