Pedro
Lv 4
Pedro asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Why people use Linux instead of Windows?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In a corporate environment, you have no idea how expensive an infrastructure built on Windows can be, server licenses, client access licenses, forced upgrades, it really adds up. If Linux will do the job, and it almost always will, it should be the first choice of big IT departments. For home users it may not be as big a deal, but it is more secure than Windows and has far, far fewer viruses. Upgrades are free and it usually runs fine on older hardware. 

• Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

good answer

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

people are to stupid to use Linux

• 2 months ago

I have a couple of little SBC based Linux systems.  One them runs multiple server apps which are all established (ie depended on and not to be messed with running 24/365).  The total system cost is a fraction of a windows system, totally passively cooled, and has an energy cost of about 20p (25c US) per MONTH!

I'm currently PLAYING with an NXP i.MX6ULL which is so low power I'm running off a solar cell!  You just can't sensibly do that with a Win system!

• Adrian
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because it is free, fast, and has most applications that people use on the Internet, as well as free "Office" packages. Linux is weak for things like gaming (but Steam does supports games on Linux) or custom programs that are written only for Windows.

While Linux is hard to infect with viruses, it is not impossible, just very very hard to do. You can still get some malware with Internet browsers, though they cannot do too much damage other than annoy you or track your browser habits.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It's more secure, less likely for viruses and malware, extremely customizable, open-source, works on older hardware, different distributions, free or low cost to use, extensive community support.

• POG132 months agoReport

That said Manjaro kept locking up on this very site,kernel downgrades seemed to make no difference,only making it take 2+ minutes to load from cold each time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.