Princess asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

After this epidemic is over, are you still going to tell people who risked their lives so you could eat that they don't deserve $15 an hour?

Look at all the republicans  who seem to think grocery store clerks  get more than $15 an hour. 

Makes me wonder what PLANET they live on.  Certainly not on this one. 

*everyone* should be paid a living wage.  Everyone.  Fast food joints make BILLIONS in profits......there are literally  1000's of fast food joints in NYC..........and they all need workers,   many needing staff  24/7 around the clock........how can workers afford to LIVE  anywhere near their place of employment  ....if you are making  $7.75  an hour in  NYC? 

That wouldn't pay the carfare back and forth everyday.....much less RENT,  food and ultilities. 

It's a JOB.........like any other......... and people need to be able to LIVE. 

You want and need people to do the jobs, to make the billions in profits.......then you need to pay those people .  Properly.  Not slave wages. 

In a busy CITY McDonalds,  those poor b*stards  HUSTLE , non-stop, for 8 hour shifts.  standing the whole time behind sweltering fryers and grills. 

With lines out the door.......you could easily pay each worker  $50 an hour and STILL make profit.  Even  $15  an hour  would be a JOKE, compared to how much money they are making hand over fist  every hour for the company. 

• Alex

I never thought that. At least not of everyone.

There's an Arby's near me that I go to. There's another one closer to me (three in my city) but I'll go out of my way to get to that one. The staff are very friendly. They greet everyone with a smile, a cheery note to their voice, they're attentive, helpful, accurate, and they're quick. One of the fastest times at an Arby's I've ever seen. And they've been this way constantly since at least 2014 (when I moved into the area) without fail.

To me, totally worth $15 an hour.

Now there's the Wendy's a quarter mile from my house that's the opposite. They're surly, they never seem like they're happy to be there, they're slow, and they're rarely accurate if you order anything more exciting than a single combo on the menu. And even then they'll get it wrong.

Case in point, I ordered a Double Cheeseburger plain (nothing on it) and they gave me a double burger. No cheese. And then argued that a plain double cheeseburger is a hamburger. They yelled at me as if this was my fault. Yes, the manager SCREAMED at me for wasting his time.

That's a store that I look at and think that they're not worth $15 an hour. They're barely worth the minimum wage they're currently getting paid.

So it really depends on the people.

• humpty

I never have argued that. I am an RN, currently working after retirement to help with workload, and was at one time a member of my union's bargaining committee. I fully support a fifteen dollar minimum wage for every worker, and especially for those who are considered essential in a crisis.

• Grocery store workers  and truck drivers make more than $15/hour. Are YOU going to tell Doctors and Nurses they need to accept any wage socialized medicine gives them?

(Updated)

ANYONE that does NOT think ANY job should pay at least a living wage is a real a_zz_hole!

I you do it full time, you SHOULD have enough to pay rent plus ALL other living expenses - AT the VERY LEAST - and that's EVEN if it is just washing dishes or flipping burgers!

UPDATE: John - I NEVER said anything about "Work as you can receive as you need"!  I'm talking about an absolute minimum, if you work full time, it should net you enough to actually live no matter what it is PERIOD, but sure some could net you MUCH more, but the absolute least is what I am talking about.

• John

You be a communist.

The only people risking their life are first responders and they make more than 15$

• RockIt

They deserve what the market can bare, not what your lame attempt at shaming people suggests they should be paid.

ANY idiot that is sitting at home eating fast food is a COMPLETE MORON,PERIOD !

• Them old azz crackaz aint worth 15 dollaz of diapers good fo nothin hoes getting all up in my life with they corona bullshit

• Rick B

Of course. Unskilled labor does not command a salary higher than that. If they want to earn more, then they will rise through the ranks or develop a skill or trade that pays better. Fast food is an entry-level job, not a career.

• Weasel McWeasel

and who do you think runs and manages the franchises?   some entry level kid?  Fast food management is a career......and a good manager can own a number of franchises.