Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Help! I've been ordered by a judge to pay $10,000 to a squatter!?

Long story short. I unknowingly rented a house from a squatter that unlawfully took possession of a deceased person's house. As soon as I found out I stopped paying rent and moved. The squatter sued me for the entire lease and won! The judge did not care that the squatter does not own the property nor no probate being filed on the property nor the property being in a deceased person's name that not related to the squatter. The judge only cared about the lease contract being broken and the existence of a "landlord-tenant relationship".  

What can I do? The appeal bond is $20,000 and being a low wage worker with student loan payments there is no way I can afford to file an appeal nor even afford a lawyer! 

Help! 

This was in a Justice of the Peace Court in the State of Texas. 

Owner has only been deceased for a few years. Adverse possession requires 10 years of uninterrupted living in the property, renting it out would not accumulate any adverse possession time for the squatter. 

You can't lease out what you don't own.  Appeal.

Appeal. One cannot rent out a property they do not own. This sounds made up.

Run like hell to the bankruptcy court! Grab any money you've got out of the bank while you still can! Don't have any of your money where they can lay their hands on it. Run like hell to the bankruptcy court and declare bankruptcy the judge is probably working hand-in-hand with the crook!

The squatter already did his research and knows how to squat. There is a window of opportunity that is involved. At least in my state, you must inhabit the house without arousing suspicion and without someone arriving to pick up belongings, and the house must not be involved with a bank for I forget how many days.There are a bunch of factors there I don't remember it all. It's really hard to do and I wouldn't recommend it.

But you can't just stop paying rent because he got the house like that. It can still be legally "commandeered" and he did it right if the court recognizes he was renting out the house. You were pretty much trying to squat right under his nose. If I were you I'd start paying rent again and explain I'm a student paying off loans and negotiate a minimum payment plan with him. Best wishes.

• Eva

Find the legal aid office in your area.

Should have shot and killed him.

I don't believe you. What court in what state do you claim this happened?

• KaleyK

As with nearly every legal question on here .... no one can help you without knowing your jurisdiction.  Also, was this small claims court?  Also, a contract has to be legal to be enforceable.  If the squatter had no right to lease the property, the contract is illegal and therefore not enforceable.  I think that's about enough of my time.

Try to find whoever actually owns or at least should inherit the house and encourage them to both sue the squatter and to file criminal charges against the squatter.

• Nuff Sed

Yes, and give THEM the $10,000.