patty
patty asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

people say french people are arrogant and use bad language/Is this true and why?

Favorite Answer

Although I have encountered really friendly, helpful shop assistants and waiters in Paris, the Parisians' reputation for rudeness and arrogance is generally well-deserved. 

But this is FAR less common in other parts of France.

French people always treated me very well when I visited France.  I do speak some French, so surely that was a great influence. 

The same in French speaking Canada. 

So I don't know.

Ever hear about ignorant stereotypes?

You mean English people

History.  They think that because Americans were helped by the French to win our Freedom in the revolutionary war that they are better than us.  Parisians are especially bad and cursing is rampant.

• Pontus

It's ridiculous.  It's like saying all Americans or all Canadians are a like.    It simply isn't so. 

The French people I've know definitely didn't fit that stereotype, at all.  One of them never even drank wine (and that's a stereotype that does fit a lot of French people, but not all). 

Even in my state of Michigan, the people in the Detroit area (where I now live)  are quite different, generally speaking, from those in rural areas, especially in the northern parts (where I am originally from).  But even then, the stereotypes are fairly useless. 

i dont think thats true