Can i go to university in america as i am living in the uk right now?

Right now i am 15 years old. Next year i will do my GCSE'S if all the corona stuff passes by. But i have made my decision that i want to take university in america. I know the fees will be high and stuff but at what age should i start applying for these schools. Also what is the average amount of money i need to pay? I am also worried about a student Visa and how to get money while having one because i am pretty sure you cant.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Students in the US typically apply to universities in the fall of their senior year- that's when they are 17-18 years old. I don't entirely understand the UK system- I think you go to "college" at 16-18, right? That's where you would get the courses you need in order to qualify for a US university. You can look on the website of a university you think you want to attend, under "International Students" and see what you need to do to apply. The amount of money you'd need would be very different depending on whether you apply to an elite private school or one of the very good public universities. Getting a student visa is relatively easy. You get a form from the university that accepts you, and you take that to the US consulate. You need to show that you have enough money to support yourself while here. You can't work off campus, but universities have jobs on campus that international students can do. 

• Ben2 months agoReport

so i can basically do college here in the UK while doing a job to gain money and then when i have finished college i start looking at universities apply at (how many you gotta apply?) and then get a student visa from a form from US university. Okay sounds easier than it probably is but i will try.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Without a student visa from the US, this ISN'T going to happen for you.

• 2 months ago

BEN you can start NOW gathering information there are 4500 Colleges and Universities. They are not identical.

Each place decides if they want you as a student. There is an application fee. Good idea to limit your applications.

Depending on classes (Field of study) and location $50-$100,000 per year for budgeting purposes. You are expected to show this BEFORE you start.

Working is possible IF you can find a job. the pay you get is not very much towards the cost of tuition.

Most  need a scholarship to attend at the Upper level places.If you are not in the top 5% -10% of your school your chances are slim at getting a seat. Each place has different scholarships you can apply for.

When the dust clears after this pandemic mess things will be different. What that is NO ONE KNOWS.

• Ben2 months agoReport

That is alot. i was thinking of going to college in the UK and working a job while im there then app!ying for a university in america.

• 2 months ago

i dont think it will be wise decision

• Ben2 months agoReport

Why not, i can do it if i want.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

There is some good information on this link:

https://www.studyusa.com/en/a/34/applying-for-admi...

And information on working:

https://www.studyusa.com/en/a/1237/can-i-work-in-t...

Fees are high and particular to each institution

https://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/study-in-usa/stud...

You will need to have access to a lot of money before you go.

• 2 months ago

i dont see why not, you could try being a foreign exchange student

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.