If I agree to go to a college, does that mean I can't back out?

I was accepted at Champlain College. They aren't my first choice, but I was waitlisted for my top pick. They've offered to waive my enrollment deposit in lieu of the virus. If I accept, does that mean I can't go to my first choice if I do end up getting in? Am I in a legally binding contract that I can't get out of?

Normally, you would just lose your enrollment deposit if you change your mind.  If you don't have to pay that, then you won't be out anything if you change your mind.  There is no contract.  If you make a housing deposit for the dorm, you will also lose that if you change your mind. 

For what it's worth, "in lieu of" means "instead of."  So you're saying they offered to waive your deposit instead of the virus.  

If I accept, does that mean I can't go to my first choice if I do end up getting in? If you can somehow make a clone of yourself then you can go to both schools, but if you can't then you're going to have to choose one school.

Sometimes making choices can be very hard, and this is something you're going to have to do.

Am I in a legally binding contract that I can't get out of? You might end up having a debt, but you don't have to stay at one school. You could withdraw, and then leave if this is what you want to do.

If you borrow money from someone, or a business establisment then you might be expected to somehow pay it back.

i would ask them this question

No. You'll lose your deposit but you don't owe them any money until you actually enroll in classes. Even then, you can generally get a full tuition refund if you drop out in the first week. 

Just be sure to write a nice letter to tell them that you won't be attending, as soon as you know. Housing may be a different story. 

• Larry

Go to the school that excepted you. Get your refund back from the first school and see if they'll keep you on the wait list. Before your first year of college is done, you can always re-apply to the first school. Keep your grades high and they have more information about you. Maybe they'll keep your original application and put that information in it.

You can leave college whenever you want. I was accepted into Embry Riddle Aeronautical university for Astronomical Engineering. I accepted, put down my deposit, and signed up for classes. I then decided to go to Wayne State U for Biomedical Engineering. I emailed and made a few calls to staff and they understood and got me out. I did not get all of my deposit back (they kept a few hundred, understandably). Easy peasy. No one can force you stay in college. They only downside of leaving (legally) is not getting your money back.

No you can change your mind later

Source(s): I went to college