Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Can I get a graduate degree in a non-STEM field if I'm bad at math/statistics?

I'm a psychology major hope to eventually get a Ph.D or Psy.D; I intend to work with clients in the field and not as a researcher. However, it seems every paper I read for every class (in various fields) is chock full of complex statistics that make my head spin. To me, it seems like Ph.D academics are all expert statisticians regardless of discipline. I completely the elementary statistics requirement for undergraduate but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I had repeat the class because I failed the first time around. And even then, I couldn't fully master it. I still feel woefully inadequate dealing with statistical analyses and feel that advanced statistics will be the main barrier between me and a graduate degree. Is it even worth trying to considering how much I struggled with basic stuff?

• Laurie

You cannot get a graduate degree in psychology without statistics.

You will be required to take classes in research methods, and to get a PhD you will have to DO research... and you need statistics for both.

Statistics is not easy.

Go talk to your favorite psychology professor — IN PERSON — and explain your situation. Ask for guidance.

Expect to need to be good at statistics even for bachelor's or master's degree in psychology. You must understand statistics to keep up with research in the field, even if you are clinical psychologist with PhD. Psych is very research oriented, and statistics matter a great deal. If you cannot handle advanced statistics, if you do not get the point of it, understand it, you probably need to consider alternatives for your career. You are going to need a solid understanding of statistics throughout any career in the field.

• MS

If that's what you want to do, then it's definitely worth trying.  I have a PhD in Psychology and I teach in a department that offers a PsyD.  While the PsyD is not an easy degree by any means, it does not emphasize statistics to the extent that a PhD (even in Clinical Psychology) does.  Some programs do not even require that students complete a dissertation, which is always a requirement of a PhD program.  So that might be a better route for you to take since you are ultimately interested in working with clients. However, a reasonable knowledge of statistics and how they are used will be expected no matter the graduate program you pursue.

Talk to an adviser who knows the rigor and your grades and abilities. It could be a deal breaker, or not. We can’t predict. You need to speak to someone closer to your situation.