I need to finesse our router ?

My little brother admitted to me yesterday that he’s set the router to give his devices precedence over ours with the wifi. This means that when there’s a limited connection - which is pretty often because we live in the country and the wifi here is bad to begin with - he will get better wifi than the rest of us.

I want to figure out how to change the router settings so that all four of us get equal rights to the wifi. I have no idea how he did this (he’s the family tech support and we trusted him, damn it) or how to fix it. All I can tell you is that the router looks like the picture below. Please help!

• Roddy

Your wifi comes from your router. It doesn't matter whether you live in the country or town as far as the wifi is concerned.

To get an improved service, connect to the router with an ethernet cable instead of by wifi.

Picture offers no clue. Would have been nice if you could have at least read the factory label on the bottom of your router and told us maker and model and version.   But since you did not, no guess how to get into settings or change them to what you want.  No help for you from far away.

Your brother knows what to do.  Hold him up by his feet until he cooperates to fix it.

If he will not, you can press the reset switch to get it back to factory original.  A tiny hole in the back hides that switch.  Press it in for 10 seconds.  If you reset, any passwords for WiFi and other services might have to be redone.  You can set a password for entry into settings so that only a factory reset will let you in again.

Source(s): Using Internet routers for 23 years.
  • ..

Pull the plug on him, until he treats you all the same