Can anyone give me a reason that toilet paper is in such demand during the Coronavirus pandemic. Are we that much of a dire situation?

Favorite Answer

I thought the goal was that everyone needed to have a year's worth of TP tucked away to make them feel secure.

There's really no other reason other than people go wild with the toilet paper hoarding and get a herd mentality thinking they'll never get to the store again.

It's like this,  people don't seem to care if they starve to death as long as they have bog roll... I have visions of people running out of food and having to fry up slivers of toilet roll for breakfast. 😂😂😂

because people are panicky idiots...

• patty

if someone is quarantine for 2 weeks they will need toilet paper thus people don't want to

be

stuck at home without it

• Mark

Not really, but people choose the weirdest things to hoard during crises.  I went to the supermarket the other day, and they were completely out of bread.

• Edna

And potatoes, canned carrots, and jars of Italian sauce to pour over pasta. 

• ?

Because I am making a toilet paper lined DUCK TAPE BOAT and using the paper in case it sinks to soak up the water which leaks in..

• Ian

If we all get trapped indoors for several months, you gonna need some bumf.  (bumf is an old word for loo roll).  The stats suggest that you have about a 5% chance of not surviving the virus.  

The demand is because of 45 daily briefings. I have never heard so much bulls**t in my life.

• R.2 months agoReport

The demand & hording is likely because early on supplies from China to Japan were shut down...
      Japan has limited paper resources, because they are an island country. If you cut off the goods from China, TP & other paper will disappear.
         Japan has always had paper shortages.

• Stella

It a situation developed by both concerns over what a family or even an individual might need most when stuck in their home for weeks or months and the practice of retailers to not have a lot of extra stock taking up space in their storerooms.

Toilet paper hits both those buttons.

Everybody needs it.

Nobody wants to be without it. So everyone buys an extra pack or two.

Very few people are actually buying huge amounts.

And it takes up a lot of space.

So retailers were not ready with a large extra supply to handle that.

The media has just made a big deal over a glitch caused by on demand supply chain management.