jib81 asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

what was it like to be a kid in the 60s associated with the counterculture?

im sooo confused.

i would assume the hippies were thought of as weirdies

but the kids were influenced by counter culture 

and it was cool for some  to do drugs and was definately cool to listen to rock and roll and 

so was it cool to be some aspects of hippies but not all to rebel against the 50s society

and were they all seen as weirdies by the older generation

and was long hair u get bullied by your peers or was it like oh hes cool

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The hippie movement was short lived, and was so closely identified with LSD, marijuana and disreputable or garish clothing, plus the 'unpatriotic' opposition to war and the insistence on interracial harmony, that it was weird to be a hippie. I never got beaten up for being a hippie, but it was dangerous outside major cities (guys with long hair were necessarily girls=*******) - trans people today are facing the same struggle, and it was hippies who opened the door. But with the explosion of interest in rock music, and the god like status of the Beatles, and the rapidly developing sexual revolution, it became hip to at least look like a hippie by 1970.

Beatniks kind of started it, but the beatniks were very cynical and couldn't care much about broad social issues. Hippies were idealists and were all about social and racial justice.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The cultural revolution was a paradigm shift that stood the world on its head.  It was a rejection in what our elders saw as values and goals and an experiment in personal possibilities.

Thankfully, after such experimentation many grew up and became more conservative in outlook.  Unfortunately, many never grew up and have remained idealistic lotus eaters their entire lives.

We youth of the 60s cannot be explained in a few sentences, but here is a good place to start on the path to understanding. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm6DvlZ2O20

Youtube thumbnail

• jib812 months agoReport

just cuz they did too much doesnt mean there was nothing wrong with 50s society 

they needed to chill out a bit 

so it was good but they went to extreme by doing drugs and such, and casual sex can hurt you 

dat my opinion

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sex and drugs and rock and roll. That's actually a song, BTW. That's defines my life at the time pretty well. Some us, including me, were also thoughtful about the peace and love part.

• ...Show all comments
    • John
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

People really didn't actually use those labels much. Outsiders did, I guess. We were just horny kids.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not everyone had the same opinion.

Beatniks (50s) were considered pretty weird by their contemporaries

Hippies (60s) were considered pretty weird by their contemporaries

Punks (70s) were considered pretty weird by their contemporaries

And so it goes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kev
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I’m not sure what you want to know.

• ...Show all comments
    • jib812 months agoReport

nooo  not true just because you protested didnt make you a hippie

were all kids who had sex a hippie

we

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.