E L asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Why is the importance of learning the language and code of your enemy? How did it help win the war agsint Japan? The peace? ?

Favorite Answer

Why is it important.  Well the enemy will speak in their language, so even if you break their code, you will not understand the communication.  So, you learn their language, understand how they think, then when you break the code, you know how they will deploy forces and thus you can defend against a surprised attack, or you can attack their weak points.  But if your going to commit men to death in war, you want to make the most of each resource that you have to the detriment of the enemy. 

Example, the inigma machine during WWII created the code using three wheels to create an unbreakable code.  The allies had to find a unit in order to break the code, then they had to translate German into English so that we could understand it.   After germany fugured out that we had one of their code machines, they added another wheel to the unit, then we could not understand the communications any more.  Please see attached link.

WOW, it requires zero knowledge of history to work this out on your own. If you're this clueless you have my pity. good luck in life. You'll need a lot of it to succeed without any common sense. 

• Joseph

By intercepting and interpreting the enemy communication you can learn their moves moves before they make them.  In 1942, having broken the Japanese Naval Code, the US Navy was able to determine that the Japanese would strike at Midway Island and prepare an ambush for them.  

In April 1943 the US learned the Admiral Yamamoto's travel plans from the Japanese radio intercepts.  Using this information the Army Air force was able to intercept his flight and shot down his plane.

It seems to me, America busted their butt trying to beat the Japanese. When we had 'em basically defeated, they would not surrender. We had to drop atomic bombs on them to remind them that their military was no longer effective. That was the only language they understood.

Oh, I don't think it's important at all. I can't see how learning the language of your enemy helps you, and the codes are completely unimportant, I think. In fact, I can't remember any instance of code-breaking an enemy's communications, say, helped our side. Not at all. Hope this helped with your badly-written question.