Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 2 months ago

Should I go for longer or shorter audio clips?

Hello,

Aspiring electronic music producer here. Been tinkering around with Cakewalk and Mixxx, and I realize that it's far easier to manipulate something that already exists to make it better, rather than make something awesome from (near) scratch.

I'm using audacity to take chunks of songs that I really like (buildups, drops, choruses, etc.), and I'm going to be combining those down the road. My question is, when I cut up these clips and save them, should I opt for longer clips that are easier to transition into and out of? Or should I just keep it shorter and there's some easy method of mixing/transitioning in one of my programs that I'm not thinking of?

You may be violating copyright laws.

When you've stored a long clip, later on, its relatively easy to cut smaller chunks from it as desired. Easier than having stored several short clips and putting them back together to get a longer one. (Also easier to remember which clip came from the same material as other clips.)

I would go with the longer clips. I think it will sound better.