How can a DNA test tell if you are American?  ?

I did a DNA Test and it classified my ancestry as "American".  It listed my racial composition as 45% White, 32% Black, 20% Native American and 3% South Asian.  It also show the region in the US where my ancestors are from.  I am attaching the map from my DNA profile.  

Now it's pretty accurate.  My ancestors are from the south.  And it was explained to me by someone at the DNA company's 800 number that my unique racial makeup is only found in the United States.  But I am wondering how did they know which part of the United States.

And also, my racial mixture, white, black and American Indian can probably be found in Canada, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Jamaica, etc.  So why didn't I match up to those countries?  How could they be so sure I am American?  And how could they be correct as to the states where my family is from?

Favorite Answer

Interesting.  Kids had me do one on myself.  I was adopted as a child.  Skewed to much more Native American at 73%....My native map was NY, Canada, & Michigan.  Because your DNA represented such a melting pot, perhaps they came to that conclusion.  We're a pretty diverse group.

• Zirp

It cannot tell you your nationality or ethnicity. There is no such thing as racial. Those tests do not find your long-deceased ancestors. What they find is people with a chromosome or two identical to chromosomes of yours. In most cases those will be your (distant) cousins.

If all those cousins - on file because they took the same test from the same company - live in the USA, the company will say you are american

As in a US citizen?  No.

You are americans but what are your euopean ancestry? or others? I know that you are a citzen of Usa I am talking about yoour heritage