What happens if i fill out the Free Fillable Files forms by accident and I am getting SSI without having a dependent child ?

I made a mistake going into the Free File Fillable Forms site than fill out the non filters form application which it is only for a person that is on SSI that has not file their taxes in 2018/2019 and has a dependent child. I am just were on SSI, were by myself, were single, never married, don't have any children and had not filled any tax returns in 2018/2019. I went to this site https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/Economi... to register than I fill out the Free File Fillable Forms by mistake, by accident and i check the (Someone can claim: you as a dependent [ ] box) by accident which i found out later in this website: https://blog.ssa.gov/supplemental-security-income-... that it is only for a person on SSI that has not file any taxes in 2018/2019 and has a dependent child. I also tried to correct that error on a computer than in few minutes I realized that I were unable to cancel it because once after it gets submitted it can't be cancelled if it is being processed.

The reason why I made that mistake is because I had a difficulty of finding someone to help me to get the information on how to get the Economy Impact Payment than I got very nervous and I panicked. I also was trying to contact IRS by this number 1-800-829-1040 than I realized that there is no agent available in their offices temporarily at this time because of the COVID-19. 

Is it going to delay my Economic Stimulus payment ?

1 Answer

  • 6 months ago

    You do not need to apply.  SSI recipients will receive this money in early May in the same manner that they normally receive benefits: by direct deposit, paper check or Direct Express debit card.  If you receive two payments because of your filing, this error will be detected and one of the payments will be deducted from your SSI so do not spend it.  In future, if you feel nervous stop what you are doing and go for a walk.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.