is 15 too late to start dancing?

I want to start dancing as a hobby and I already do gymnastics so I have some flexibility and skills. Would it be too late to start dancing at 15 years old? I don’t wanna be the worst one in the class you know . also what styles would be best to do?

I don't think it's ever too late to start dancing for fun.

Absolutely not! Its never too late to start! Regardless if you are the worst in class or not, it is so fun to try and can be so freeing! I have danced ballet since I was 8, but I didn't start Jazz until I was 15, and was in class with eight-year-olds. Nevertheless, I had a great time. Often if you are older than the age of the class you can pick things up a bit faster than them too and progress faster.

As far as what style, ballet is a good basis for all dance, and some schools won't let you take other styles until you have had a little bit of ballet. You might try to look for schools that offer teen programs alongside their other programs so you are in a class of your age if that would make you more comfortable.

I hope this helped and that you try it out!

Recreational dance is for anyone of any age, shape or abilities. While gymnastics can make one flexible, the muscles used in dance are build very differently. So is the alignment. So basically it isn’t really an advantage in terms of building proper technique. It may however impress your classmates who may not know any better. Regarding where to start, I recommend a teen or teen/adult beginner ballet classes. Even if ballet isn't  your first choice. Ballet is where you gain most of the technique required for other dance genres. It is where you build your dance vocabulary. Better recreational dance schools won’t allow jazz, modern or contemporary dance classes without strong ballet technique first. I also recommend you stay away from competition schools if you want to really learn properly as they push tricks and showing off flexibility over proper form. As a gymnast going into competition dance schools you might excel from the very start because as I stated, they don’t really teach dance properly in those schools. But then you won’t really learn to dance either. They will just exploit your gymnastic skills along with your families pocket book. Competition dance is a huge industry that changes crazy fees for costumes and to compete. Strangely the average competition dance studio costs way more to train in than a world class professional level ballet school. 

Source(s): My daughter is a professional concert contemporary dancer & choreographer. Ballet academy trained. Dance grad of LaGuardia Arts high school (the FAME school.) Graham & Horton modern trained. Juilliard SI. BFA in dance from NYU Tisch. Currently choreographing and performing in a world renown concert contemporary company. I worked for NYCB ( New York City Ballet)
  • sam

It’s never too late to start a new hobby! Dancing is so much fun, I guarantee you’ll find a style that you enjoy. If you’re used to gymnastics, ballet or jazz could be quite nice for you as they require flexibility. If you’re looking for something a little less structured, contemporary (and in some schools, lyrical) could be fun. If you want to focus on fast footwork, something like tap or Irish step would be good. Look for an adult beginner class, and try out a bunch of styles until you see what sticks! 

Girl, no. Or boy. Or anything else you are. There are people who seek to learn a new experience, such as dancing when they're 80+, for real. Styles is really what you find good, maybe the waltz since you can dance with a partner. Also nobody is the worst one in class, it's the amount of effort you put in. Give it a go! Or maybe just try an online, or a youtube class if you're too anxious to do so.