Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 6 months ago

are Europeans really much more lucky than Americans? since they live in modern, but more socialist society? why better or not?

everyone thinks "Americans" are lucky to live in the USA, but really? how socialist societies are much better? and they are modern, have people that are much more educated, polite, etc...not as nearly as materialistic as USA , why this is?

• Dj2541
    Favorite Answer

I hate  to  inform  you but  very  few  people  think that  Americans  are  "lucky" to live in the  USA.Most of  us in the  rest of the western  world have  affordable  Health care, social  security, and sensible  democratic  traditions.

If you are a lazy, not ambitious and not very smart person it is probably better to live in Europe.  If you are talented, smart and competent, it is probably better to live in the USA.

It would be a good experiment to see if those that move to Europe from the USA are lazy and looking for a soft life and those that move to the USA from Europe are looking for opportunity to excel against the best and brightest.  I would expect that to be the case but do not have data so it is just an opinion.

• Zirp

rhineland and scandinavian CAPITALISM are NOT SOCIALISM.

Are some things better here than in the USA? Sure.

Social security, teen-pregnancy-rate, education, multi-party democracy..

I have no idea what a "washer/dryer combo" is

• F

Yeh we really envy the gun culture and the lack of affordable healthcare .

Yeah, look at their crooked teeth, with love by socialist health.  I watch them eat here, L live in Orlando, they actually share food from McDonalds,  it is easy to see the kids want more.  Everything they do is on the "cheap" side.  Mad rushes to the Dollar store and Walmart then window shop the malls.  If they bathe more the once or twice a week I'd be suprised.  How about the tiny washer/dryer combos in their kitchens?  I love socialism, for the Europeans that is.

There are trade offs. For example, I know several people in France who were able to start businesses or freelance because they didn't have to worry about having employer-provided healthcare- they are all covered, while in the US, I know people who stay in jobs they don't like specifically because of the health insurance. On the other hand, I once heard a talk by a man who owns some bars and restaurants in New York and opened a bar in France. There were many more regulations, and he described it as "100% more difficult" to open the business in Paris.  European countries are NOT "socialist".  They just have a few more systems that support the people. The US has socialized k-12 education, police and fire systems (paid for by taxes, available to everyone). We don't have universal health care or enough support for higher education. No one has suggested that the government runs businesses, which is what socialism is. 

They have less wealth disparity, fewer homeless, more worker rights and benefits, and generally more security (financial, housing) and less crime.

• European are lucky that their "leader" is not encouraging them to inject disinfectants.

yes, especially in countries like Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Switzerland (lowest crime in the world i read, even ranking up there with Japan)