Aniya asked in SportsOther - Sports · 2 months ago

Is 19 to old to start gymnastics?

No ........................

Let´s say if you start now and in 3 years or so you still don´t have your splits ready you definitely will give up.

nope, it's not! yes, many start when they are 4-8, but a lot pick it up during their teenage/young adult years. Even people start when they are 20,30,40... 

gymnastics is such an awesome sport, and you are definitely not too old to enjoy it. 

there is a possibility you could even compete if you wanted.. depends on gym/program. I'm pretty sure there are adult competitions, and in the Xcel program there isn't really an age limit! 

if you don't want to compete OR before you compete/join team, you may want to do recreational classes or take private lessons. these will really help. 

After lockdown, I am going to take a gymnastics class. I am 17 and have been teaching myself several basic skills since I was 14. I would love to compete, take a class, and have a private lesson. 

Do it, you will likely not regret it! :) 

For fun? That’s fine. 

To be a world class, competitive gymnast?  19 is nearing retirement age for most. 

• Matt

Depends why you are starting. If you are hoping to compete in the olympics, you might struggle to catch up with others who have been doing it for longer. If you just want to do it for your own health and fitness, then it is never too late

• Hans

No. Definately not.