Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 3 months ago

How prepared were you when you had your first child?

Is it possible to be well prepared or is it always a learning process? Like you can never be too prepared until it happens and even then, you'll still run into obstacles.

Favorite Answer

My wife and I were married for a year.  We wanted a child eventually but our daughter was still a surprise when she became pregnant.  I don't believe anyone is ever truly "ready".  But in my mind having secure income, family/friend support, and engaging yourself in learning about caring for an infant will be enough.  Our daughter is now a happy and healthy nine year old!  Good luck!

• Tulip

I had nine children prepared every single time

I worked with guy who had a pile of kids, like 10 or 12.  I joked with him that after that many, he must have it down cold as to what to do.  He said they were all different, what worked for the last 3 might not work with this one.  Read but prepare to be flexible.

Reasonably well prepared.

Turns out we got a premature baby who cried about three quarters of her first year, but we all made it and she's a very cheerful and responsible adult. ; )

• LizB

It's hard to be fully ready since you don't know what kind of kid you're going to get until they actually arrive, and different kids have different needs. Everyone who decides they want to be a parent has lofty ideals about parenthood in the beginning (as they say, everyone is a perfect parent before they have kids, lol!), but once baby arrives you realize that sticking to all of your ideals may be unrealistic, and you just have to do the best you can.