Am I eligible for Unemployment? (COVID-19)?

I work as a part time receptionist at Honda. I used to work 20 hours a week, and my hours have now been cut to about 10 hours a week due to COVID-19. I am barely able to pay for my car payment now, is there any benefits for those that have had their hours reduced due to the coronavirus?

Update:

I am located in California, and also in college.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you worked from June-December, you are likely eligible.

However, since you are continuing to work you will probably never be eligible to receive any benefits.

For example:

If you are earning $13 an hour working 20 hours a week, you would be eligible for $116 a week. 

the issue is that if you are working 10 hours a week at $13, an hour - you are earning $130.  Since you are earning more than $116, you wouldn't be eligible to ever get any money.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

California hands out enormous amounts of money to anyone who asks, just for breathing.

Apply and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you'll get declined.

• 5 months ago

I would say you are.

• 5 months ago

If you are currently employed you're not eligible to receive unemployment benefits. Period. 

There may be other benefits you can get, however. You'll need to contact your local authorities--the county or state. Food stamps (or food assistance) would be one. If you filed your income taxes and weren't considered a dependent in 2019, then you will probably receive the stimulus payment. 

Also--contact your car payment loan holder and ask them what assistance they are giving people who owe car payments and can't pay--almost every one of them is doing something. If that's your bank, call the bank or visit their website. If it's a dealership 'credit' company, such as Ford Motor Credit, I know they are. You need to be pretty proactive to find out what you are eligible for. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Depends on your state - cut by half is righr on the edge. Apply and find out.

• 5 months ago

You're still working, you can't get unemployment.

• 5 months ago

yes, you can apply for UC.

• 5 months ago

No get a real job instead of supporting a Japanese Company

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.