why aren't fathers with custody of their children being paid child support?

It's a fact that child support has nothing to do with the child, why? because of this double standard. a mother can claim child support from a father for keeping the kids but not the other way around. Even if they're making the same income!

That's not true.....If father & mother have the exact same income & father has custody even 1 day more each year than the mother, the mother would have to pay.

Not all custodial parents want child support from the away parent. When I was expecting my youngest I had already split from his dad. I told him about the baby, not because I wanted money out of him, but because he had the right to know he would be a father and it was entirely up to him what he did with that knowledge. If he wished to be in our son's life he could have been. As it happened he didn't want anything to do with us. I believe his mum would have loved to have been in her grandchild life though. (as she was the last to know about my pregnancy) , but sadly I ended up losing my little boy six months into my pregnancy, and his grandma didn't find out until afterwards. 

• Lili

They are, you idiot. Non-custodial mothers are required to pay child support just as non-custodial fathers are.

I know two of them who pay.

Grow up.  Lying this way doesn't impress anyone.

• Edna

You are mistaken. A father who has custody of his children CAN (and very often does) collect child support payments from the mother. Child support goes to the custodial parent,  regardless of whether it's the mother or the father.

They do get paid child support, moron.

Wait, what? Are you trying to say that a mother who has custody of the children may receive child support for the children, but a father who has custody of the children will not receive child support from the mother? If so, you are incorrect my dear, the non-custodial parent has the burden of child support when it's ordered. I know of mothers who are paying child support to fathers.

• LizB

What makes you think they aren't? Of course custodial fathers can file for and receive child support. Whether the mothers pay or not is a whole other matter, since if the mother doesn't have even 50/50 custody there is often a good reason for that (she's in prison, has a drug problem, isn't a citizen and risks deportation, etc). Whatever that reason is, it may mean she *owes* child support but doesn't have the means to pay, so the father may not receive what he's owed.

• LizB

@indegospirit debtor's prison isn't a thing anymore, but yes, anyone who is in found to be in contempt of court can be put in jail. Also being unable to pay and refusing to pay are two different things.

Britney Spears pays Kevin Federline a crap load of money for 'child support'

Fathers can apply for child support in exactly the same way as mothers can. Usually, the amount is based on earnings and the basic living expenses of the parent that is supposed to give the support. 

In general, men earn more than women (not always). More, men often have lower expenses than women. Combine the two, and the child support assessment is usually higher when men have to pay. 

That's not counting alimony and that side of things, btw. And alimony is not considered a basic living expense....

Then you (or the person you are talking about) had a bad lawyer.

I do know of WOMEN who ARE paying child support to the father with custody.  

So - get a better lawyer.