What should I know before I start taking Piano lessons?

I am 20 and have taken some lessons before but I want to hit the ground running. I want to fully know major and minor scales plus fingering, Arpeggios, and try to improve my sight reading. Is there anything else that I am missing ??  

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

Remeber to keep your fingers relaxed when practicing to avoid making bad habits. Just practice 40 hours a day and you'll be fine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Your piano teacher will explain how to excel and develop good techniques so you dont develop bad habits. It is as simple as this. Start taking lessons to get better at piano and avoid habits that are very hard to break.

Best regards.

• Gregg
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Depends on what your goal is.  Mine was just to learn to play any music I like.

I learned by listening - It took a while but now I can play any song I like. I can even change the song's key to any key that I'm more familiar with.

• 2 months ago

Just learn songs from youtube.  Piano lessons take way too long.  You sit there playing Mary Had a Little Lamb for 2 years.

I learn from youtube and can now play Fur Elise in full and about half way through Moonlight 3rd Movement.  a couple of other intermediate pieces too.

I learnt nothing from piano lessons other than c major scale.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

you will need a piano

• 2 months ago

If you're going to take lessons, your teacher will know what to start you on and and also answer any questions you have.

• 2 months ago

I think it would be better to learn scales with a teacher to make sure you are playing them correctly.  If you insist on learning them before getting a teacher, start slowly and evenly and gradually get faster.  You don't want them to sound choppy.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It doesn't sound as if you need lessons!

• 2 months ago

I think the thing you're missing is the point of taking lessons. Just start the lessons and your teacher will take it from there.

• 2 months ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.