Will hard drive work in same PC after replacing?

The pc was bought with windows 8.1 on it preinstalled.

No backup disc given. the hard drive is about 6-7 years old and noticed the pc is slow. Either it be congested with malwawre or  wear and tear

i want to add a fresh hard drive in there and start with a fresh install.

If i pull the hard drive out and add another in there can i put the other one back in the pc without the operating system intact like before i took it out?

Im doing this for my brother, but ive only ever done this with a windows 7 pc he has windows 10 currently and i may add 10 back to his pc.

I heard that there is a bios connection with these later operating systems too will adding a new hard drive in there on a prebuilt pc go smoothly?

I dont want to do this if he is at risk of not putting old hard drisve back in his pc.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's not wear and tear.  I would simply do a re-install of Windows and see if that helps.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006133/

The approach should still work with another brand.  

If you don't know the product key, you should look it up before you start, just to be safe.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-find-your-windows-...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

probably     .

• 2 months ago

I rebuild systems that I buy on the 2nd hand market and sometimes resell the systems once they've been upgraded...…. adding a new SSD and then Installing Windows 10 to the blank drive is easy peasy. 

There's not much to it. All you have to do is use the Windows 10 Media creation tool to copy an ISO to a Thumbdrive, Install the OS to the drive of your choice, setup the OS, then install the appropriate drivers for the hardware.

If he has files he wants to keep on his old HDD, you could create a new partition on the old drive then move the files to that partition, then you can reformat the old C: partition.

If you keep the old hard drive in the system, you will have to enter the BIOS/UEFI and reset the boot order in Hard Drive BBS Priority. This will prevent the system from trying to boot off the old drive. When you install the O.S. to the SSD, it's generally for the best to unplug the 2nd/old drive. 

• 2 months ago

Prebuilt pc operating systems should not be fooled with, since you will have a hard time getting back to what works properly.  The version on the old hard drive cannot be replaced by another without paying Microsnot for that privilege.  You have no rights or expectations of using that prebuilt operating system with anything but the original motherboard.  I have seen some people claim that they could contact the PC maker and get an install disk or a download to a USB flash drive for installation to a blank hard disk.  This could do something for a few.  But all the drivers and the accessory "bloat" or "crapware" will be lost, though.

What you can do carefully, is TRANSFER the old Windows 10 install that long ago was done at the factory to the new hard disk.  This is not the same as a fresh install or an update or a reset.  It is pushing over the files from one hard disk to another.  The new drive will now work properly with the motherboard.  You can keep the old drive in the system for storage of files if you wish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'd install a new hard drive in addition to your existing and keep your existing as it is for the boot drive.  That is if you need more hard drive space.

Make sure you backup the existing hard drive of anything you want to keep.

Do a fresh install from your hard drive.  All existing files will be deleted during this.  https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006133/

If you see above the 'remove Windows and reinstall everything' there's a 'refresh Windows'.  I would try that first.  This will NOT delete or overwrite existing files.  

If you are looking at this going "huh", get someone who is computer knowledgeable to help you.

• 2 months ago

The operating system is on the hard drive.  

A new drive has no OS on it and won't do anything useful. 

I STRONGLY recommend having a professional do this work.  

• 2 months ago

Yes you can add it as a second hard drive, when you boot the pc up go into the bios usual by pressing delete during the boot up and make sure the bios is selecting the new drive as the piority, once in windows drag any file from the old drive you ant to keep and the format it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.