Tia asked in TravelCaribbeanOther - Caribbean · 2 months ago

I want to retire abroad from the US but my fiance has a felony, what countries do & don't allow expat felons to retire in their countries? ?

The places I have my eyes on are ideally Portugal, Spain or Malta, maybe Croatia or Italy and possibly some Caribbean islands or Caribbean side of Mexico

Have you researched the visa requirements for any of these? Most countries don't allow you to retire without being independently wealthy enough to support yourself entirely.

There is no realistic way for you to simply retire to any EU member country, with the possible exceptions of Malta and Spain. 

Retirement visa applicants for Malta cannot have a criminal record. Spain is probably the same but that information is not in the links I looked through. 

Croatia is not yet a member of the EU and it does appear possible for US citizens to get a retirement visa. It is not clear if Croatia will issue a retirement visa to someone with a criminal record. The Croatian Embassy in Washington should be able to answer that question. Note that unless the two of you are married then your fiance will have to apply separately.