Despite the collective effort to get through this, do u feel this Pandemic brought out the 'worst' in people ?

I was standing in line waiting my turn at a grocery store, and this obnoxious rude arab or indian couple were infront of me paying for their groceries when the wife (the person in front of her husband who would pay) recieves a call on her smartphone, a watsapp call and she delightfully takes it and starts having a casual fun chat with lord knows who.

It was at this point I flipped, and raised my voice and told her 'excuse me lady, can you take that call another time and just pay for your stuff ? some of us are waiting here...'

and her husband got angry and she told her friend on the phone she'd call back cos she had to deal with something.

the pair of them launched into me with tirade of abuse and told me I was a waste of space and that they prayed I got corona virus.

When I tried my best to be civil and mature about this, all the husband could say was 'oh go f**k yourself ' and flipped the bird not before slamming his bleach into his shopping cart and walking away.

what kind of behavior is this ?

• Foofa

Yet at the same time neighbors are volunteering to shop for elders and are banding together to barter homegrown produce and to help homeschool each other's children. So maybe it's bringing out both the best and the worst humanity has to offer. But people are stressed out and sometimes not revealing their best selves. It's not like you reacted with much class to this situation either.

Pandemics and global crisis can bring out the best in people, and equally can bring out the worst in people.  Some people show kindness and compassion, while others become deeply self-focused with little or no regard for others. Ultimately, you will choose to conduct yourself in a way that makes sense for you.

I find that rude people are always rude, pandemic or not.

Howsoever, I am finding a lot of kindness when I do venture out for food, but as more and more time goes by, you can spot the impatient and narcissistic people rearing their ugly heads. I ignore those types as they are not worth my attention. I would rather use my energy being kind to those who deserve it!

• Jerry

Perhaps if you had made your request with deferential politeness instead of "I flipped, and raised my voice" making a scene? That you "tried my best to be civil and mature about this" AFTER your rude outburst is too little too late. The rudeness had already been committed. Toning down your subsequent remarks doesn't undo the original rudeness. 

And  "She was rude first" may EXPLAIN but does not EXCUSE your rudeness. You could have quietly and considerately requested that these people complete their purchase, quietly and considerately prompted these people to notice that their behavior was holding up the line, and you instead chose to indulge yourself in a your little hissy fit. What's up with that? 

people are generally like this. were u in walmart

i think he was being really rude

it depends what you're referring to....

• g

I find this unbelievable, actually.

Some people think they're the only ones on Earth that exist.