Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 2 months ago

Should I quit my job and go travelling for 5 months?

Hi,

I am 23 and really want to go travelling and think now is the best time to go but I don't know if to quit my job. I graduated uni two years ago and have had two jobs since. I started my new job in January which is good money and by the time I would go, I would have been there for a year or so. Do you think I should quit my job and go? I would have 2 years experience in that field but I am worried I would come back and wouldn't find a job.

*I'd go travelling when things start going back to normal!

Favorite Answer

There's nothing wrong with wanting to travel.  What is wrong is quitting your job to do it.  I realize you're only young once, but you're an adult now, so act like one.  The best thing to do is to travel each year when you have a vacation.  Most companies do not allow you any "adequate" vacation time the first few years you are employed with them.  Why not take a week's vacation the first few years you're employed.  When you're allotted more time, take more vacations.  And be responsible about it--save the money ahead of time so you don't go into debt to take your vacation(s).

You can't travel anywhere now; so no.

Now is not the time to plan to take off and travel. Wait until it's both safe and the economy is on a better footing. If you still have a good job, tou're better off not leaving it until you know you can get a job again when you need it.

Keep your job. Wait till you get vacation time. A job is super important. Until or unless you would develop investment income on the side. But if work agrees to let you off for 3 weeks or something then you could travel without quiting your job. That would be nice!

I think that would be very risky.  If I were you, I'd wait a few years. 

• hihi!

DO IT!! You will never go back to work. The world is open to you and it is interesting. Work a few months, get some $$ ahead (or pounds sterling) and TRAVEL!! Enjoy life.

"and think now is the best time to go"

airports and borders are closed, where you going to go  :)

"Do you think I should quit my job and go?"

well i'm sure not suggesting you quit your job, could you take a leave of absense instead?

"I would have 2 years experience in that field but I am worried I would come back and wouldn't find a job."

They'll always be reasons to not do something.  Look at it this way, lets pretend you are right and after your holiday jobs suddenly dry up.

Would you rather be vacationing then looking for work in your 20s, or your 40s?

Go  :)    Have fun.

• georgia2 months agoReport

Haha not now.. Just when we can travel again, so next year! I think I might speak to my manager she is really nice and I am quite close to her so I might see if there is anything they can offer. 
      The 20s and 40s is a really good point! Thank you:)

That is a gross min-use of the word should.

Sure that sounds real responsible how old are you 16?

• georgia2 months agoReport

How is it not responsible? I am going to be in a 9-5 job for the rest of my life. I am only young, don't have any big commitments and have built up experience in a job I like.