Should I pursue my passion as a music producer/performer or go to college for a career?

This is a repost because I only got 2 answers on my previous question.

When I was two years old, my parents influenced me into music. I started out banging beats on the old school cooking pots. As I was growing up, my parents bought me a mini toy keyboard and I just continued to play songs using the cooking pots and the keyboard.  

My parents realized my passion and connection to music, so they bought me a number of microphones to sing songs, when I went to parties, my family would encourage me to go up on stage. Not that I didn't want, I was really shy as a kid. I loved playing music, but I was just really shy and scared to play in front of a crowd. At times, I would go up on stage and play.   

When I turned 14, my parents bought me a Yamaha 61 key keyboard, and I loved it and learned how to play countless number of songs on it. My dad enrolled me into music class, but after a few lessons stopped the lessons because the guy wasn't teaching me much. As I grew older, I developed enough confidence to play and I sometimes play a little demo at family parties and whatnot. I also built connections with different artists.  

I'm now 22, I enjoy music so much more, its my getaway from life. I love jamming on my keyboard. I want to create my own music eventually.  

However, I feel like I need a more stable career, so I'm planning to study and become  software engineer and do music on the side. My mom suggest I teach music, but I'm more into producing music than teaching it.

Favorite Answer

I have made every single dollar in my professional life, since 1973 (post three conservatory degrees) in live professional music, music education, studio teaching, arranging, adjudication, etc.  So has my husband, our adult son, his wife - and millions more.  We are NOT UNIQUE.  All of us had a very strong foundation of lessons and serious study BEFORE we applied/auditioned for degree programs.  You mention NONE - and most kids you age would tell us, if they had decent credentials, made All-State, got high ratings in legitimate competitions, etc.  Even if you wished to become a producer of music - the world is FULL of folks who have far more solid skills - my son (39) has his MM degree in digital music and music technology - and works in that field, including being the administrator of of the music department for a large school district - and since he has to hear EVERY concert every year, does all the audio, plus that for the professional groups in which he/wife perform.   Now he is responsible for all the music online learning . . .  Sooo - back to you - do you REALISTICALLY think you can get INTO a real program, to learn what you need?  Because without that level of education - and the *pieces of paper* I think you might scorn - nobody wants you.  Can you turn things around with SERIOUS effort and intensive education?  Sure.  But you need someone to kick your butt.  It I have in anyway helped in that area - my job is done here.

Who ever said you can't do both?

Go to college. You can still be a musician and/or in a band while you're there and it provides you with more options.

I think you would have a better chance of being a successful producer if you have a college degree in music.  For a performer, it depends on how good you are and who you know.  I know of someone who is very successful but will not listen to anyone unless someone he knows recommends you.

I think you need to combine them. You can't be a successful producer or a performer without actually knowing about the business. Besides, aren't they both careers?

The corona virus is die to delirium tremens followed by notorious personalities going to bars of you know what it means delirium tremens is the sickness of alcohol drinking too much alcohol anything goes in this

• Gonzo

You should go to college and play it safe. Unless you are the best music producer in the world.

• Mamianka

Unlikely.  Sounds deluded - so far . . .