I like classical music but I find it boring why ?

I am a man 36 years old I love rock, metal, and classical music, but I find it boring the classical music, why ?

• You probably just haven't found any composers that interest you. For example, if you listen mostly to Bach, maybe try Chopin or Beethoven. If you just listen to piano, try to listen to violin and piano duets, for example.

Best regards.

Source(s): Piano player for 16 years
  • Gregg

I listened to several, from Baroque to Modern and made my favorites selections regardless of which period they belong.  I developed a liking for Beethoven and Chopin.

If you find it boring perhaps you don't like it as much as you think you do. It may be you don't know what to listen for. Connect with someone who loves classical music and understands it and have them point out certain aspects of it to you. What aspect of classical music do you like? There are symphonies, concertos, sonatas, overtures, operas, etc, etc. There is also music of various periods, e.g., Medieval, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Modern. Perhaps if you do some reading on classical music, that may enhance your appreciation for it.

• Huh?

You probably need to expand your musical horizons a bit.  If you've just listened to the obvious contenders like Mozart and Beethoven I sympathise to some extent, as I really don't like Mozart and find Beethoven a bit dull.

You could try listening to more modern composers like Shostakovich or Schoenberg, perhaps even contemporary composers like Steve Reich, Philip Glass or John Tavener. If you like outre music you could even try Karlheinz Stockhausen - I recommend his 'Gruppen' or 'Kontakte' to start with.

You may also get on better with Baroque composers like Bach or Monteverdi, or even Medieval music - you can get collections of the latter fairly cheaply.

I'd recommend you join a library which loans out CDs if there is one near you, so you can experiment without spending a lot of money.  You can probably also find examples of most types of music online.  

You need to expand your view of classical music.  Classical music also includes soundtracks.  So that means all those great movies you watched.  It also includes Video Game Music that use classical music.

I find it more interesting when you can see living composers.

I have been a professional classical musician in the NY area since 1973.  Here's a flash - there are some classical works - and some of ANY style that flat out ARE boring.  But think of classical music like sports - some people watch basketball because it is fast, and very easy to understand (rock, pop, etc.). Other folks are willing to put in the time to learn waht they are watching, and will put up with the slow parts (baseball).  and of course, there are the people that wish lash themselves to a chair for three days and watch an extremely slow game with insane rules (cricket . . ).  So the more effort you put in - the greater the reward - up to a point.  There are many, many subcategories on classical music; some people chill out to a-capella choral music, like Gjelo; some wanted to be revved up from the big bombastic Romantic-era symphonies or operas. It takes some looking - no pressure - until you find you sport - and then your team.  If some of the long an complex works of classical music bore you - start with shorter things.  Like novelists or movie director - some things are short and to the point, and some things just g drag ON AND ON - which is good it you want the details, but bad if you cannot keep the characters straight!  Some FM classical station will have a host explain briefly what you are going to hear;  many STREAMING sites, even the free ones, will chop off a selection in the middle, like it is aural gift-wrap - I *hate* that!  So try a couple of good FM classical stations - jot down who and what you like (and some of the hosts are engaging, and yeah - some are f dull and pompous . .  .but I have found jazz and rock hosts who pontificate, also - just their nature to flaunt their expertise.  So take your time - it's a big world - and not everything you find is gonna thrill you.  Me either - and it is my business . . . so sometimes I am required to play crap I hate. You can shut off the radio.

• I don't find it boring and listen to it now and again but I've also never really got into it.  I love Rock, Pop and Jazz but Classical just does little for me.

I did too.

But my aunt was a church piano player for 60 years. When she and my father (also a passionate piano player) died, I started craving classical music.

So... my point being, you won't warm upto something until you're ready or craving it over all other noisy genres.

• Akram Akram2 months agoReport

And I was a church bass player for 12 years